Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Controlling Network Chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

spaulding

Technical User
Jan 10, 2001
US
I'm the network admin for a school district and my little children (they're high school students, so I'm using that term as a perjorative reflecting their maturity and my frustration) have learned that if they plug both ends of a patch cable in to the wall jacks, they can crash our system. The network traffic escalates until our domain controllers (3) cpu's max out and they start shutting down services.

I need to know if there's a Hardware/software/configuration method to prevent/block the loopback chatter? Failing that, is there a way to set up a warning when the CPU starts going over a certain percent so I can take that campus off line and minimize the impact to the rest of the district?

We're using Windows 2003 Server for our DCs.

Thanks

What kind of network switches are you using? A good managed switch should detect the loop-generated traffic and automagically shut down one part of the loop.

Want to ask the best questions? Read Eric S. Raymond's essay "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way". TANSTAAFL!

All Allied Telesyn switches. Thanks, is there a correct technical term for this so I can search their website?

I believe it may be called Spanning Tree Protocol (STP), which should help prevent loops, IIRC.

------------------------------------------------------
Matt
Life is all shadows and dust.
Live it up with women and wine while you can

Indeed, it's generally called the Spanning Tree Protocol. It should do what you need.

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

Thanks all. We've got that set up and it seems to be working. Course, having the superintendent present the children's parents with a large bill for lost time and damages may have had some impact on the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back