Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Controlling IIS from another PC on the network

Status
Not open for further replies.

multiplex77

Programmer
Dec 25, 2001
SG
Hi,

Is there a way to control IIS admin from another PC on the network? My colleague is using the NT Server, so it is hard for me to open Internet Service Manager and start and stop the websites (and do other stuff). Does IIS provide a facility to control it from another Win98 PC on the network?

Any help will be much appreciated...

you can install mmc on a windows 98 computer, and run it from there
i think you can get mmc from the nt server

Sorry, I'm still confused...I tried searching for MMC for Windows 98 but to no avail!

Okay here's the whole situation:

I'm using a Windows 98 SE PC on a network. I want to control and administer IIS on an NT 4.0 Server, connected on the same network.

What software do I have to install on my Windows 98 PC in order to remotely administer the NT Server's IIS, and where can I obtain this software?

Thanks in advance!

I would try installing the adminpak.msi (i386 directory on a windows 2000 cd). I'm not sure if this works in Windows 98. It works in Windows 2000 (no kidding huh?). It will install a ton of other (in your case worthless) windows 2000 AD stuff, but it also installs the MMC for IIS.

hth
pat

Thanks, but I don't have Windows 2000. I only have Win NT Server and Win 98 Second Ed.

Anything for this? THanks...

i believe there is a web based admin tool for iis, although depending on your security needs you may not want to make this available on your server. i am not aware of anything else that might work on W98.

Open IIS Manager console.
Right click the root webserver
Go to properties
Then Directory Security
Then edit the IP address and domain restrictions
Add the Win 98 IP to access granted list.
Save (OK) and close
go to your 98 machine
type Good Luck

Thanks kkbigboy !

It worked! I didn't know there was this facility to control IIS from a web browser. That's great!

Only there was one thing I had to change:

I got the error message:

"Unable to connect to the Active Directory Service Object. Please contact your system administrator.

Error: 70 Permission denied."

Found out from Microsoft help that I had to Remove Anonymous permissions on the IISAdmin virtual directory, and set it to Windows NT authentication. Everything worked after that!

Thanks everyone for the help!

Have you tried WinVNC to connect to the other computer? This is a cool little utility that can connect not only across Win Versions but across platforms because its Java.
I know you have solved it but this is worth a try.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back