Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Controlling Data Entry (who? and what fields?) on Data Access Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetflea

IS-IT--Management
Sep 25, 2001
CA
Does someone know if one can control data entry by field, instead of table?

First, i need to build in that someone can only update a record ("project") if that person matches the name in the "project manager" field.

Second, if that person is entering a New record, then s/he can INSERT in any field...however, if that person is trying to UPDATE an Existing record ("existing project"), s/he can only update certain records!!??? Does this make any sense?? The only thing i could think of was the read-only property but then it remains read-only for new records as well so that doesn't work....hhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

"It" is called the security system.

You need to set up the secutity system. This captures the UserId when logging on the database. You use the UserId (UserName or UserGroup) to check what the current user can do. When applied in the manner you describe, you will need to add the UserId/name to each record, so you will know who created it. Coding all of the fields on a complex application will be a large (and thankless) effort, but it is the only way I know to restrict edits to varying individuals.

MichaelRed
redmsp@erols.com

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

thanks MichaelRed...So I can control exactly which fields within a record a person can update?

Yes, but it will require a considerable bit of coding to get to the individual field, especially if there are a lot of variations in the user level permissions.

MichaelRed
redmsp@erols.com

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back