Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Control XP Compressed (Zipped) Folder Wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

bergers

Technical User
Aug 15, 2002
AU
Please help!
I am creating an Access front end (AFE) for distribution to over 100 PC dummies. (using Access 2000)
The AFE enables said dummies to import a text file (sent each month) containing lists of 1000’s of names, search and merge etc. This bit is fine.
The problem I have is that we have a requirement to “password protect” the text files that are sent each month, using WinZip. My AFE has a textbox where dummies can type in a password, and click an import button. This then created a batch file that extracts the contents of the zip file using WinZip, and then imports etc… And All seemed sweet.

However, the said dummies have now upgraded to XP and no longer have WinZip at all. Instead they rely on XP’s compressed folder handling to extract zip files etc. This means my AFE doesn’t work, as there is no WINZIP32.EXE for me to send commands to.
I have got the AFE working with another command line compression tool (currently using UFA Archiver v0.04 Beta 1, as this doesn’t require installation, and is small in size). When UFA receives the wrong password it causes a UFA program error, and then (with the overwrite command selected) replaces a perfectly good text file with one with nothing in it. Obviously using a Beta V is not a good idea!

So I am looking for some way of sending commands (via batch or VBA) directly to XP’s compressed folder utility or by using some other (rock-solid) archive program to continue to automate the extraction of the password protected (zip?) files.
Can anyone help?

I can't help you with your problem, sorry, but I hope you can help me with mine.

I too need to password protect a WinZip file but I need the process to happen automatically. Currently I zip up the file then email it out.

My problem is that I can't halt Access while the file is zipping so I had to create a form that I open as a dialog box that zips the file and then gives control back to the database.

My probome is that the process is not reliable. How did you get around this problem?

you cna reply directly to simon @ pollak . com . au

Regards

Simon

I have hunted down an Active X control that can be used within an Access Form. It is made by Inner Media. As I cannot add files to this site, I'll have to give you a link to another site I have it posted at...

Are using the WinZip command line, or WinZip's hidden command line functions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back