Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Control windows pc through browser

Status
Not open for further replies.

coper

Technical User
Jan 4, 2002
US
Hi,

Is this possible.

I currently have web and mail servers up and running on two linux boxes.

If I add a third windows pc with it's own ip address
Is there a way to login or take remote control of this pc through
I have read a little about citrix which is kind of what I want to do but don't want the expense.

Thanks

Does this question have anything to do with Linux?

If you just want to take control of a Windows machine from another Windows machine, I would go with pcAnywhere 10.5. Its rather inexpensive, about $100.

There is a free program called VNC that will allow you to remotely take control of a Window or Linux box (GUI), but I've never tried it before.

-CP-

Hello,

Thank you all for your input. After doing a little research beeweeb may be what I'm looking for. Has anyone used this software. This seems to be more in scope to what we are trying to accomplish. Instead of using ftp to download and edit files and then re-upload. Beeweeb seems to be capable to allow you to open -> modify -> and save right back on server.

Thanks again

If you install windows xp you have built in application for doing that. Its called remote desktop and the bennifit of it is that it sends the Windows API instead of screen dumps. This will result in great speed improvment. The remote desktop can be accessed from a webserver using activex components. This will sadly restrict you to use a computer that has internetexplorer 4.x or newer as the client. So you are stuck with windows on the clients

remote desktop has some other nice features like if you print on the remote computer you will rederict it to the client printer without any difficult settings. You can also rederict sound and get the client disks in the explorer on the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back