Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Control Panel/Find won't execute on Windows98

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtechy

Programmer
Sep 23, 2002
US
I have Windows98 on my personal computer. When I right click on Start/Find, my computer stalls. I am then only able to reboot my computer. I also notice that if I click on Start/Control Panel, the same thing occurs. Any suggestions on what the problem may be and how I can resolve it???

Press and hold the Ctrl key during startup, select 'Command Prompt' from the menu with the arrow keys, press Enter, type scanreg /restore at the C:\> prompt, press Enter, select a saved Registry which has a date that's prior to when the problem started, press Enter, and if it goes back to the C:\> prompt then type Win and press Enter.

If this does not work or if the problem started prior to the date if the earliest saved Registry, then reinstall Windows over itself.

If no luck, then back up critical files, format the hard drive, and do a clean Windows installation.

Thanks for the advice ski. Unfortunately there wasn't a registry that went back far enough to when the problem occurred. I'll be getting Windows XP (Full edition) shortly. Hopefully, installing it will resolve the problem. Thanks again for your help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back