Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Control flow

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhi81

Programmer
Jan 13, 2007
Hello All,
I created a web based application using vb.net,sql 2000 and crystal
reports11. Basically the application should be able to print invoices using
crystal reports. It is able to do that.

However when multiple users start using the application and send printing
requests together at the same time because the multiple instances of the
application is running the sequence of printing is messed up as they all send
print requests in between other request and the output is not good.

Is there a way i can control this. Basically i want to hold the other print
request until the first application has finished execution and then start
with the next one and so on.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

how are they printing? are you using the default print with the crystal report viewer, or are you using custom built commands?

if your using straight crystal datasource/viewer chances are it's a caching issue. could you export your reports to pdf and display them instead of the crystal reports? then everything (search, print, view, save) is all done on the client in Adobe Reader.

I find PDFs make life easier for web reporting rather than fighting with crystal for .Net.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

No the requirement of the project is to be able to send the report directly for printing. Tats why i can't use the reportviewer.

I am using the reportdocument's printtoprinter method to send it to the printer directly.

let me explain the situation.say there are 2 users A & B. When A send some reports to the printer.It starts printing and it may have multiple pages....Say after it printed 2 invoices user B send the print request and they both are printing to the same printer. Then invoices from both instances of the application are sent to the printer simultaneously and this messes up the order invoices x has pages from invoice y.

That's what i am trying to prevent.

I don't think its the program. The printer should queue up the requests so the print jobs finish in the order they are sent to the printer. Try another printer

I'm with jbenson001 on this one. I think it's a spooling/queing/printer issue, not a programming issue.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back