Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Contradictory Sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.

SF0751

MIS
Apr 15, 2002
US
In thread1256-1178437, the subject has turned to the meanings of sayings and phrases. This reminds me of something I've always found interesting - well-known sayings that appear to contradict each other. Two of my favorite pairs are:

"Good things come to those who wait." vs. "He who hesitates is lost."
"Many hands make light work." vs. "Too many cooks spoil the broth."

Can anyone add to this list?

Susan
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
- Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

This one maybe, kinda?

Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.
He who hesitates is lost.

Or Clothes make the man.
It's what's inside that counts.

Birds of a feather flock together --> Opposites attract

Clothes maketh the man --> Never judge a book by its cover

Absence makes the heart grow fonder --> Out of sight, out of mind

Variety is the spice of life --> Never change a horse in mid-stream

Strike while the iron is hot --> Look before you leap

Better safe than sorry --> Nothing ventured, nothing gained

[Cheers]

Don't spread yourself too thin" --> "Don't put all your eggs in one basket"

"Don't let the parade pass you by." --> "Sir, if you don't move out of the way and let these floats on through, I'm going to have to place you under arrest."

"A penny saved is a penny earned." --> "Penny wise & pound foolish."

"Keep your nose to the grind stone." --> "Stop and smell the roses."

[smile] I guess that second one is only a well-known saying to some of us.

Beware of Greeks bearing gifts --> Never look a gift horse in the mouth

Don't cross your bridges before you get to them --> If you fail to plan, you plan to fail

Quit while you're ahead --> Winners never quit

Patience is a virtue --> Strike while the iron is hot

Observation: The two halves aren't really contradictory, they generally seem to be cautioning against going to extremes, in either direction. Obviously the best advice is:

"-->"

(between the two extremes).

Funny thing is that few people will use both together. People tend to use the one that reflects their own point of view. I guess you could learn something about a person by which side of each of those pairs they would say the believe. This could be the birth of a whole new type of personality test! I hereby claim ownership of the acronym "CAPS" (Contradictory Adages Personality Survey).

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

Wouldn't work in this country.
To see which one phrase is used you have to make sure both phrases known to the person. I am using those I've heard, not those I choose because It wasn't available to me from the time I was born. Sorry.

A phrase that seems to me to be contradictory to its own usage is "Head over heels", which is usually used in connection with love (e.g., "Don't mind his silly behavior, he's head over heels in love.").

What gets me is that this phrase is used to mean "thrown for a loop" or that the subject of the conversation is befuddled, etc. However, "head over heels" is the normal state for a human. When you are standing, your head is over your heels.

Shouldn't it be "heels over head" to denote that the subject is (figuratively) upside down?

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

I don't think it's not a static situation.

Granted, they was a time where we might have known only one phrase, and not its antithesis, that is not will not always be the case. Certainly, at least with respect to the phrases posted herein, we all have the opportunity to learn the corresponding pair.

From this point on, and now that we know both phrases, which will we choose when the situation arises?

I think people will most often choose the one which best rationalizes their choice at that moment in time. If you're faced with a choice, and your instinct is to dive right in, you'll justify that by saying "He who hesitates is lost". On the other hand, if your inclination is to proceed with caution, you'll justify that option with "Look before you leap".

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

It's possible to encompass the opposites opposites.

For example, should your daughter be dating some guy you don't particularly care for and your daughter is crying about the fact that he will be working the entire summer out-of-state where he and she will be completely out of contact.

You might be consoling her by saying, "Distance makes the heart grow fonder." But simultaneously telling yourself, "Out of sight, out of mind."

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

r937,

I always thought that "I could care less" was just plain wrong.

I've never heard anyone use it except to express their lack of concern. Of course, it means the opposite.

When Galileo theorized that Aristotle's view of the Universe contained errors, he was labeled a fool.
It wasn't until he proved it that he was called dangerous.
[wink]

I thought the expression was: "Absence makes the heart grow fonder."

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

Gee, Tracy, I guess you'll have to work variations like that into your personality test. After all, variety is the spice of life (If it ain't broke, don't fix it!)

When Galileo theorized that Aristotle's view of the Universe contained errors, he was labeled a fool.
It wasn't until he proved it that he was called dangerous.
[wink]

Hi,
But, I believe it was in 'The Prophet' that I read:

'Abscence to Love is like water to a fire..A little quickens, I lot extinguishes'

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

re: "Head over heels" - from The Straight Dope:

Dear Cecil:

Ever since I first experienced it, I've been wondering about the expression "head over heels in love." Most people understand this to mean being flipped out with passion. But if that's so, shouldn't it be "heels over head"? "Head over heels" is the way most of us spend at least two thirds of our lives. The British say "head over ears," which makes just as little sense. Any insights into the origin and meaning of these idiotic idioms would be appreciated. -- Daniel Z., Chicago

Dear Daniel:

Well, now you see why they're call idioms. "Head over heels" is a corruption of "heels over head," which dates back to the 14th century. The British "head over ears," meanwhile, is a corruption of "over head and ears," in over one's head, deeply. The corrupted versions started appearing in the 18th and 19th centuries and have now largely supplanted the originals. But don't despair. Years ago one often heard the equally nonsensical expression "cheap at half the price." Amazingly enough, years of ridicule by word mavens have largely succeeded in stamping out this barbarism in favor of the more sensible "cheap at twice the price"--a welcome if unexpected victory. Maybe "head over heels" will meet the same fate.

Susan
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
- Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

Hmmm ... I have never heard the "head over ears" expression. I have however often heard (& used) the more colourful "A over T" expression. [smile]

[Cheers]

On the vein of "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" ... reminded me of this. It's not so off colour, but can be exhausting
--Paul

On the issue of "Head over heels" and to provide a rationale for its apparent mis-use: Consider the context of its typical use -- "He is head-over-heels in love with her," meaning not that he is literally or figuratively standing on his head for her (causing the heels-over-head position) but rather, he is tumbling head-long into feelings for the other, without regard for normal sensibilities. If one applies this analogy to a visual context, if one is tumbling down a hill, head first, followed, naturally, by heels, this is a "head-over-heels" tumble.

If, on the contrary, one began their tumble feet first, causing a heels-followed-by-head, occurrence, we would infer just the opposite feelings of the party to love...that she is having to "drag" him, feet first, kicking and screaming into the relationship.

So, hopefully, this provides a bit of metaphoric justification for the apparent mis-use of "head over heels".

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[ Providing low-cost remote Database Admin services]
Click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips if you use Oracle in Utah USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back