Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Contivity VPN Client and Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldangeli

MIS
Aug 19, 2002
US
HELP!! Does anyone know if there is a new release of Nortel's Contivity VPN client that works with Windows Vista? I need to get my hands on a copy for testing.

Did you ever find anything about this? I'm still not able to get this to work?

I'm working on this right now. I'm working on testing 7.01 with my system. I've been able to install it in both normal mode and Windows XP Compatibility Mode. The issue I'm having is when I go to sign in, I get an error that the Eacfilt Driver must be bound to the active interface. I'm using a Broadcom Netxtreme 57xx Gigabit internal controller on a Dell Latitude D820.

Anyone else seen this Eacfilt error or have any input on Contivity Client with Vista?

I am getting the same EACFILT driver message on a THINKPAD with IBM Netwrok Interface Card and Drivers ... the thread doesnt help ... I am running VISTA BUSINESS 32

Here is what I've found out...
After searching high and low I found all of the information that I need, but none of it was in one place. The thread linked above has just the basic information...

So instead of just referencing other threads sending people in a circle like half the other stuff on the web, here is everything I've learned...

Version 6.07 is specifically made for Windows Vista. It won't work on any other OSs.
Version 7.01 is for Windows XP/2k

To install Contivity 6.07 on Vista (I'm using Ultimate), run the installer as administrator in Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode.
Then you have to run the application the same way. Nortel did not include the compatibility mode info on their instructions. I've got it working, but it seems to hang my system when I disconnect, forcing me to reboot.

Thanks ... 2 comments ...

1. When I tried to run the 6.07 install in compatability mode ... it told me that I need dto NOT run it that way ...after installation it told me that the I needed to turn off the RIP LISTENER (which I did)

2. I'm still getting a message that it requires NAT TRAVERSAL (whatever that is) and to contact my System Administrator .... Problem is they are not supporting VISTA ... Though they talk to me

I did notice that the EXTRANET executable after installation WAS flagged to run in XP compatability mode

I'm getting exactly the same, I get the prompt to open Outward bound udp port 10001 which I've done but it still doesn't work.

Even turned off the firewall completely but still get the same error. I traced a successful login on XP OS and noticed that some of the packets were a different length. I'll keep digging, when I find out the answer be sure I'll post it here

Your sys admin needs to configure NAT traversal on the contivity switch. the error is not with the client.

Any update on this? 6.07 install file will not run if you set it in XP SP2 compatibility mode. Even if you run as an Admin as it will complaing that this version ifor Vista only

Creg, the file there is a beta version and if you install it, it will install but if you run it, it will say it is expired

Hi,
I have same problems if I start the COntiviti Client .
I get this message "this version of contivity VPN client requires NAT traversal to be enabled" .
Have somebody fixed it ? how ?
I am connected to internet via ADSL line ( with DSL modem/router ).
Should some changes be done on the router ?
Probably not as my second PC with WinXP is working fine ( COntivity Clinet ).
Thanks
Roman

Having same "Eacfilt Driver must be bound to active interface" error on HP dv6000 notebook. I've loaded both 6.07 and upgraded to 7.01, but both versions still result in the error. Eacfilt driver is located in the Local Area Connection properties and is checked. I went as far as disabling all services and ran the bare minimum of Vista, then installed Nortel (both versions), but same problem happens.

I did notice one thing though, if you unplug the cable from the NIC port the VPN attempts to connect and doesn't get the error. If you try to reconnect the cable the error pops up again. I've ran both versions as admin and both regular and compatibility mode with no success. I've updated the Intel Pro/100 VE nic adaptor to the latest version and it still doesn't work.

NIC port connects to everything else just fine on the network, internet, domain, everything. No other problems except this VPN bound interface problem. I've compared all the settings with a Dell 505 laptop, Vista installed, which works with VPN and all the NIC settings are the same and identical. Problem makes absolutely no sense. Only thing I can think of is the NIC is somehow bad with VPN and we may have to replace the motherboard inside. Stinks considering the HP is a brand new laptop. I can't believe that only one problem would occur and none of the others I listed above. I've done every "fix" that is listed on the internet plus did as much of my own troubleshooting as can think of in Vista and Nortel.

I hope someone comes up with a viable solution cause I'm pretty much all out of ideas. Tomorrow I'm going to get in touch of Nortel and HP to see if they have anything, but by judging from searching their entire websites for this issue and finding nothing, their tech support may not have a clue either. Anyone have any other ideas?

Hey everyone. I was having the exact same problem. But I found out Nortel now allows you to download the VPN Client directly from their website. It is under Support, then Software downloads, VPN Client.

The latest version they have is 6.07d, but it is different than the one on the other website listed above. It is the final version and is not expired. It is designed for Windows Vista. I have tried it with Vista and it works great.

I first tried the 7.1 version from the above website, and I also got the error 'eacfilt must be bound to the active interface...'

Uninstall the 7.1 and install the one from the Nortel.com website.

Hope this helps everyone...

Ok, I have installed 6.07 from Nortel.com and I talked to our System Administrator who says "NAT transversal is on for the group that my user account is in" and I still receive the error message "This version of the contivity vpn client requires nat traversal be enabled on the server"
Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

I have this problem to. Where do I enable "NAT Traversal" on the Nortel Connectivity?

Thanks,
Philip Smith/University of Windsor

I was getting the "NAT Traversal" error message as well. For me, the solution was that the "IPsec Policy Agent" service was disabled. I went into Computer Management/Services and Applications/Services, and set the Startup Type to Manual. After that, I can connect just fine.

Thanks jacgec, that is something that I have not tried and my IPSec Policy Agent was disabled too; but I still receive the error message "This version of the contivity vpn client requires nat traversal be enabled on the server" even though NAT transversal is on for the group that my user account is in.

Im assuming you are all using the V06_07.026? I am having problems using my broadband wireless to connect to our CES2600D. The V06_07.026 client works fine over Ethernet. After establishing the internet connection on my verizon broadband wireless card, I can connect the V06_07.026 client, but cannot route anywhere but the local subnet of our CES2600D. So, I can manage our Contivity device, but can't get anywhere else in our corporate network. The release notes for V06_07.026 do state a known limitation over RAS devices.

I've opened a case with Nortel, first engineer stated there was a V06_07.027 version but did not email me the link. I can't find V06_07.027 anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back