Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Continual Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

loutheman

Technical User
Sep 20, 2002
US
Windows 2000 Pro machine continually reboots after getting blue screen. Looks like a STOP message on the screen, but it doesn't stay up long enough to read it. Anyone have any ideas how I can stop the rebooting long enough to read the message?

Can you boot to safe mode (F8 on the first windows screen)? If so then you can go to my computer and select properties. Go to advanced tab and select startup and recovery. Under system failure uncheck the automaticly reboot box. If you can do this then the BSOD will stay on screen rather then reboot.

I had this problem and had to reintall Windows. It was a real mess.

You might try the reboot with Last Known Good Configuration Feature - did you try this?

What I had to do as nothing else worked, was to reinstall Windows in a second directory, Log into this second installation, backup all my data, make a copy of everything in the WINNT/SYSTEM32/ Directory, then reinstalled Windows over the original installation. Then I went into the second installation and moved all the files from the WINNT/SYSTEM32 backup into the reinstalled location - minus the most recent files (do a search and find the most recently modified files - these are the registry files). The I logged into the New installation and restored my registry (I had backed it up recently - if you haven't you may be out of luck - use regedit). Then I edited the registry to use the correct Documents and settings files using redit.

Over all Most everything worked OK - I had to reinstall the latest updates for WIN2000, Office XP, and Wordperfect, as well as a couple other programs. I also had to reinstall my LAN connection for my Cable Modem, and my Video and Sound Card drivers.

It took me about 2 days to get back up and running.

slave the drive in another machine if you need data off of it, and then put it back in that box and reinstall windows. It's not worth the time to spend troubleshooting a faulty installation when it only takes an hour to reinstall 2K and start clean.

get in the habit of adding /SOS to the end of the line in your boot.ini, and change the setting 101101011..blah, blah said about "automatically reboot" for diagnostic purposes.

When you blue-screen..it doesnt do any good troubleshooting a screen that just goes away a second later after it blows up. You need to be able to read it and have the user call you over when it happens so you can see what the problem is.

Some PC's dont start back up after a BSOD reboot so a memory dump becomes useless.. :
pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back