Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Continual error on backup media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshHind

Technical User
Mar 18, 2002
AU
Almost every night i am getting an error -
Storage device "HP1" reported an error on a request to read data from media.

Error reported:
No more data is on the tape.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I have cleaned the tape drive, and the tapes are quite new. The problem occurs everynight, i have noticed that it is ok if i clean the tape unit, but i don't want to do this every day.
I have checked the Veritas Support Site and it suggests that the media be renewed, but i am using a different tape for each night of the week.

Has someone had this problem before and, if so, how is it rectified. I am beggining to suspect a faulty tape drive.

Cheers, Ash.

I was keeping my tapes on a shelf, and not in the little containers that they come in. They were gathering dust. the drives wanted to be cleaned all the time. I now keep the tapes in the cases and I clean the drive once a week. Also the tapes should be replaced every 2 years. or when you start getting alot of errors. just a suggestion...blonde

Thanks Blonde. The tapes are stored in their covers in a drawer so dust shouldn't be a problem. I am beggining to suspect the tape drive is faulty.
cheers, Ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back