Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Continous Survey Form

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregarican

IS-IT--Management
Jan 31, 2002
US
I have looked back in previous threads but can't get a handle on an answer. Here's my problem in a nutshell:

My company has a survey where employees rate each other's performance in several categories. Rather than have each individual employee's invidivual performance category come up one at a time (like last year) I am trying to bring in all 11 performance categories at once for each employee on one screen. This was accomplished through the Continous Form view. That is the start of my problems it seems!

I'm retrieving the employee id, employee name, employee department, performance id, and performance description. All of this comes from two tables --- the employee table and the performance table. But where they are being scored on the same form is just an unbound control. This control gets inserted into a third table --- the response table, as the specific employee id and performance id is brought in as well.

If I make this score control bound to the response table then already existing responses come back to me when I open the form. And if I leave the control unbound then changing one score makes all of them reflect the same score. I have tried playing with the form's Data Entry property but if I set this to 'Yes' then nothing appears in the Detail of the form.

Any suggestions?

I just did a survey for my company.

Here is a quick overview.
Survey comes back to the data entry person. That person gets the survey ID off the survey and enters it into a popup form. That form is linked to the History table. When the ID is found in the History table it populates the Data Entry Form with the info related to that survey, i.e. Name, ID and Survey ID. The user goes through the form and clicks the responses corresponding to the survey. After they complete the data entry I have a SQL statement that inserts all the info from the form into another table (Survey Response).

If I can be of any help let me know.

That's what I'm getting at. The way I did it last year the responses came up one record at a time. This worked fine, but was a bit lengthy since each employee has 11 categories! What I'm trying to do is have all 11 categories displayed on the form in the Continuous Form view. Retrieving the employee and performance table data is fine, but the Score unbound control I had now needs to be applied to each individual category. Since Access sees all 11 unbound controls as a single entity the data entry part isn't working.

I'm having trouble binding the control to something. When I try the response table existing stuff is displayed.

I don't know if this will be of any help....
On my form I had 7 questions +. Each question has 5 to 6 check boxes to choose from. And some of those could have multiple boxes checked. So when I have the form update the table question 1 (Q_1) in the table could look like 1, 3, 5. Depending on what boxes were checked for Q1 on the form.
My form is not linked to any tables or queries directly.

Can you send me a screen shot of this form so I will have a better idea of what you are doing.

forum_reply@hotmail.com

I believe Access 2002 allows considerably more latitude with forms in continuous view.

Alternatively you can create a table to be designated as a temporary table. USe it to append your category data and then you can bind the form's controls to the temp table.

Cheers, Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back