Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Continous Sound Coming from my Modem !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wally001

Programmer
Jul 29, 2002
MT
Recently I installed XP on my PC.

Unfortunately, when I connect on the Internet (via a dial-up connection), a continous sound keeps up coming out of my modem.

Could anyone PLEASE indicate a solution for this problem.
Your help will be highly appreciated.

Walter

wally001,

make sure that M1 or M0 is in your init string. It sounds like you have M2, which leaves the speaker on all of the time. An M1 tells the modem to shut the speaker off when carrier is detected. An M0 shuts off the speaker all of the time.

pansophic

The string will not have M2 in it. It's an incompatible XP driver problem. The generic Rockwell/Conexant drivers will work most of the time, but there are many like you, who have the constant noise. Blame it on the manufacturer of your modem, who screw with the commands in the modem's chipset just enough to make it incompatible with generic drivers. (Askey, Zoltrix, and Bestdata to name 3)
Even in XP, adding M1 or M0 to the init string may not do it.
You MUST find the correct driver for your modem from the manufacturer. Rockwell/Conexant make chips, not modems. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Jim,

Could you elaborate a little?

I have a dual boot system, Windows ME on one partition, XP on another. In ME, my internal HSF modem (which uses a Conexant-Ambit chipset) works fine. In XP, I have had problems. When examining the modem log files, however, they are nearly identical under both operating systems. In other words, the same S registers are being initialized, and the same commands are being sent to the modem under both systems. However, with XP, my speakers are mute (and they won't turn on despite the Mx or Lx settings), and I noticed that XP sends a ATDT command before dialing, which forced me to add the letter P before the phone number (I'm in Russia, and only have pulse-dial).

So I am lost as to why my modem is not getting along with XP. Sending a string to a COM port shouldn't be that difficult, yet the chipset seems to behave well when receiving commands from ME.

Lovin' Canada,

John

I have the exact same problem, my modem keeps making the 'online noise' while I'm online.

I easiest way I've found to overcome this problem is pluging a pc speaker cable into the sound-out slot on my modem. This way the modem still makes the noise but it goes through the speaker cable which means as long as the speakers are turned off, you don't hear it.

I'm sure there is a way to fix the problem, but this is definitely worth doing until you can be bothered fixing it.

Laterz,

Will

i had the same problem before and it realy annoyed me but the problem was that windows xp generic driver isn't good enough, so you have to download the driver from it realy works
good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back