Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Contingency plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acuratsx

Technical User
Nov 20, 2007
US

I know this is a broad question but if someone could please point out just a few major components of a contingency plan for a 300 agents call center environment with a for example, thank you!

In case of total system failure? Partial or complete trunk failure? Everyone calls in sick? All agents busy? Natural or manmade disaster? Security breach?

I say system failure or long distance trunk failure, thx.

For a LD trunk failure, alternate carriers could be an option. Or most LD companies offer plans that will route your calls at the cloud level to another location if you have one.
System failure, never hurts to have a crash kit onsite. Your vendor can work with you on your specific system and what is deemed mission critical. For instance, an option switch, you would want at least 1 ac/dc power supply, a PW power supply, maybe a controller etc.

I also suggest a cloud design. Have a pre set plan with that carrier so that within an hour your calls are transferred. Within a crash kit I would add a few items like pre-made cables for PRIs, a couple switch tails and a few tools like a flashlight, cuts and screwdrivers. Software wise I may suggest an alternate route that you can quickly reroute calls to another area of the building or location. In case the only thing left is the PBX.

Lets assume your PBX has a dual CPU and battery back up or generator.

It's always nice to have a few copper trunks as well if you want a dialtone.

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

If long distance calls are routed to the IXC via a T1, POTs lines (assuming there is an LD carrier assigned to them) could handle traffic.

If the telephone system is maintained "in house" keeping some spare parts on hand is well worth the cost.

Lastly, always have working system configurations backed up. [smile]

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

Definitely look at multiple carriers, preferably delivered via methods that have some redundancy (SONET ring, seperate cable entrances to the building, etc.).

Also, a well-designed, built, and maintained VOIP PBX can reduce the single points of failure down to the station cable and the IP phone itself. Mitel has been doing some interesting stuff in this area with PBX resiliency (2 PBX's that share database info, an IP phone can fail over to the 2nd if the primary fails), and I'm sure there's similar setups available from other vendors as well.

Ok as we use VoIP & Softswitches some of this won't apply, but here is ours (well from tomorrow anyway!).

We are moving to IP based soloution.

We have one carrier but lines come into their exchanges 150 miles apart. Then they are converted by several devices in to IP. These are then routed to 2 sperate branches 10 miles appart connected by a 1gb MAN link.
The servers have SQL enterprise replicated across them for all the config. The phones are IP so can be easily redirected. Outbound automatically hunts for any free lines.
Finally all our key numbers are Non Geo with Web based management. Upon busy they will hunt, or we can redirect manually.

So key thing for many.

Non Geo number, so we can point these where we want.
A place to route them too!
Multiple lines, configuring in some sort of hunt or team.

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back