Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Context or Menu window not appearing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

1quickdraw

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
Hello to all. Well this is my dilemma, best as I can expalin it. There was a time when I put a USB flash drive or memory card in my computer, a menu window asking what I want windows to do would automatically appear. This no longer happens. I recently did a clean install of windows, however this application stopped since then. The only other thing I did was to take out a memory card reader, which had gone bad. Now I no longer get my context menu (or whatever it is called) to come up. I can still go to my computer and the drive is recognized and I can open it from there.
Anyone have any thoughts?

I hope I have explained it well enough. Not really knowing if context menu is the correct terminology.

Thanks

bcastner,
This does not appear to be an auto play problem. I do not have an issue with cd's or DVD's auto playing. This is specific to any other media type i.e. usb thumb drive, memory card, etc. The menu which would appear gave options on how I could open the files on the media. I will try the suggestions you have so grtiously given me and will repost after.

Thanks

bcastner,

The issue still remains. I am runnig SP2 on XP Pro. And Tweak UI did not help. I appreciate your suggestions and respect your knowledge. Hopefully you have another suggestion.. This problem is with USB. When I plug in a USB media reader or flash drive, I do not get the options menu of how to open. I must open my computer and go to the drive and open it from there. It is recognized, just does not automatically open the options menu (not sure of the terminology once again). Anyway, hope this gives a little more insight to the problem.

And if in My Computer, you right-click the identified USB drive, Properties, and examine the Autoplay features, does this still pose an issue?

And please advise if you are on a network and have a network mapped drive in the same drive letter space.

bcastner,

When I bring up the autoplay tab from any of the removable disk's, "music files" are defaulted to and under Actions the "Prompt me each time to choose an action" is checked. I have played with these settings and nothing I do makes a difference.

I am on my own stand alone computer. Not networked. As far as being mapped, I have not, to my knowledge re-mapped any of these. I wonder if I could do it even if I wanted to? The only available drives are the ones on my computer and, of course the remocable drives I connect via the USB (these are card readers and flash (thumb) drives).

Have you ever run across this before? I would have thought as long as the "prompt me each time to choose an action" was checked, all would be well with the program. How wrong I am.

Hoping you or someone may have an ace in the hole regarding this.

Thanks Bill.

bcastner,

Y STILL T M

Ramesh clean handler did not help, However, the Autoplay fix from Microsoft worked like the preverbial charm.

What can I say but Thank you so much.

S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back