Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Contents of HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

celsis

IS-IT--Management
Feb 8, 2001
IE
I've just taken over a Novell 4 server and being a MCSE, I don't have clue about Netware. Could someone tell this absolute novice how to get to a command line in order to do a simple 'DIR'? I presume that 'DIR' won't work, so I'll also need command syntax to use.

Thanx to all,

Mike

The first thing to realise is the server is preceisly that a server. Unless you have netware 4.11 or above there is no way of doing a dir. If you have 4.11 or above try this
1. Load netbasic
2. Shell

This should bring up a prompt. It is a basic emulator. You have got some bas files like dir.

You can dir, copy, del that sort of thing.

You cann't use the server as a workstation with Netware. Lee Smith
Xenon Network Services
Snr. Technical Support
LSmith@xenon-uk.co.uk

If you're taking over a Novell Server, it is best you spend your time learning the use of NWADMIN. With it, you can manage directories, users, rights, etc., the kind of things you are probably going to be asked to perform.

Celsis, Get out to a command prompt and then go to the appropriate drive letter. The 'dir' command WILL work. However, it is not going to give you all of the information that the NDIR command will give you. To get info on the NDIR command just type 'ndir /?' at the command prompt. As long as your path is set up correctly (with a mapping to SYS:pUBLIC) the command will be available.

You may also want to spend some time getting familiarized with Filer, which is another Novell Specific util for managing files and directories from a command line.

However, were I you. I would spend some time with a good book on Novell 4 to familiarize myself with the different management options available to me. Or, better yet, see if your employer will front for CNA 4 classes. Depending on how important a server the NetWare box is for you guys, it might be worth their while to send you. Also, if you guys are doing anything of note with NDS training is ESSENTIAL.

Later,
Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back