Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Contents of 5.1 CDROMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

daneicher

MIS
Nov 24, 2003
US
I installed 5.1 today.
The install completed and never asked for CDROM's 2-5.
Looking at the CDROMS didn't immediately reveal what was
on them or their purpose.

Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks,
Dan

The other cd's contain things that are not actually need for AIX to function, ie, Java, xwindows, printer drivers, etc.

I would suggest going to "smit software" and doing an "update to latest level", which will go through more of the cd's and load any needed file sets.

Also, there should be an "update cd-rom" that you will want to install to bring the system to the latest release level with patches, etc.

You can install the update cd by running "smit update_all"

When I smit update_all - it asks me where the updates are - floppy, tape and cdrom are listed.

I put in CDROM 1 (I've also tried 2) and pointing to the cdrom - smit report back no installable software found?

What am I missing?
Thanks,
Dan

Hello Daneicher,

It's not unusual that the installation software hasn't asked you for additionnal cdrom, as quoted above cdroms 2-5 contain additionnal software and various NLS messages, so if you install, for example, AIX on a system without graphic/exotic adapter and keep english language, the other cdroms won't be needed.

If you want to install software from the AIX cdroms, insert the first cdrom and use :
smitty install_latest
then select /dev/cd0 , and before choosing to install everything, check the content by pressing F4 when the cursor is above the field "Software to install" (F7 to select / deselect sw to install,ENTER twice to launch install).

Note that you don't need to make this operation for the 5 cdroms : the list which displays on the screen is the list of the software of the 5 cdroms, smitty will ask you the needed cdrom in case you select software which is not on the first one (there is a .toc file on the cdrom which tells smit what is available to install)

If you want to install an AIX Maintenance Level, insert the update CD and use :
smitty update_all
and specify the device (cdrom) or folder where the maintenance level files are.

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back