Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Content Manager is unable to access the content store. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

haripali

Programmer
Feb 27, 2008
IN
SQL Server 2000, IIS, Win XP SP2, cognos 8.3

i installed &configured C8.3 & everthing was working well for some days
now i am not able to access cognos web page ,
error message is
" The Cognos gateway is unable to connect to the Cognos BI server. The server may be unavailable or the gateway may not be correctly configured.
Try again or contact your administrator. "

when i check cognos configuration & right click content store & select test it is giving this error:

Content Manager database connection
1. ERROR The database connection failed.
2. ERROR Content Manager is unable to access the content store. Verify your database connection parameters, and then contact your database administrator for assistance.

earlier this test was succesful & all entries at content store is same as was earlier.

please guide me
haripali@gmail.com

checking with installation & adm. guide ...suggested to delete content store at cognos configuration level & recreate it again...
done that but still same problem is coming

Please please somebody guide me how to resolve this issue
expert help me to resolve

haripali@gmail.com

The account that you use to access the Cognos content store should have the rights to the SQL server instance and have read properties to the database. Did you set these?

Ties Blom

hi bloom,

There is only one account set at the time of installation of SQL Server 2000 username/password sa/sa , I think this is adminstration privilages.

There is no other user account or password & even later this password sa/sa has not been changed.

In SQL Server 2000 i have created one database cognos83 for content store & in cognos configuration in Content Store the entries are
type - Microsoft SQL Server database
Database server port number -localhost:1433
user id/password- sa/sa
database name - cognos83 ( as was created in sql server 2000)

Again earlier system wasrunning perfectly fine i was able to open cognos connection, i was able to create report Studio &cerate there also.

Experts guide me ASAP
haripali@gmail.com

Further

-----------
The account that you use to access the Cognos content store should have the rights to the SQL server instance and have read properties to the database. Did you set these?
------------

bloom how to check the above thing

haripali@gmail.com

Using 'localhost' is not Cognos best practice. It is always better use the real instance name.
Secondly, never use the sa account this way! you need to create a read-only login to access the contentstore!
Only other thing to check is the availability of SQL server and the database. Is the instance up and running? Is the content database online?

Ties Blom

1) SQL Server 2000 up & running & content store database is also up & running but some how cognos is not able to connect it

2) sa/sa & localhost ...work well for my personnel R&D purpose

Experts guide me any othre advice

hi f4b10

----------
check the permission on cgi-bin
----------

i checked in IIS\cgi-bin right click property
execute permission :Scripts and Execute permission

further I distinctly remeber while creating cgi-bin i have sets it rights to read,execute,runscript.

anything else i should check

Hi Bloom ...

I am trying whatever i can at my end...please describe this

-----------
------------

bloom how to check the above thing

FYI :
1) my content store is cognos83 created at SQL SERVER 2000 DB through Enterprise Manager

guide me

If you are using the sa account then access should be okay, as sa has all rights (system admin) Did you check whether Cognos 8.3 is compatible with SQL server 2000?

Ties Blom

hi bloom,
ya one friend told me sa has admin. status & have all right.

2nd thing
Is Cognos 8.3 is compatible with SQL server 2000?
If anybody have idea please confirm this ?

FYI: This system was up & running for couple of hours then next day things started giving problem. So I will presume comptability is no issue. But lets wait for someone to confirm this.

Any other advice or where I should look for.

Guide me

Is Cognos 8.3 is compatible with SQL server 2000?

please somebody confirm me this..i am wating
it seems i m the only one who has faced this issue

expert guide me

i am certainy no authority, but we are running 8.3 as well and just upgraded our content store from 2000 to 2005, so i would say yes.

Also, in the configuration manager for Cognos 8.3, when you put your cursor in the value to enter your content store's database server and port number, the "help" in the bottom section gives the syntax to designate between the two if you have "more than one instance of Microsoft SQL Server 2000 or 2005 running on the database computer".

I currently have the opposite problem: we also have the ReportNet version of Cognos running in another environment and i'm beginning to think that it is not compatible with 2005, anyone know that answer?

Becky,
Ft. Rucker

thanks woodrg for confirming that Cognos 8.3 is compatible with SQL server 2000.

now one more thing how to check sql server 2000 is using 1433 port number?
(this is the port we define in cognos configuration in content store, as this is the default port being used by SQl Server 2000)

guide me ASAP

Hi all ....I HAVE RESOLVE THIS ISSUE & SYSTEM IS RUNNING FINE.

IF IN FUTURE SOMEBODY FACE THIS PROBLEM PLEASE READ THIS HOW I HAVE DONE THIS & SAVE YOUR TIME & EFFORT.

Here it goes

FYI : SQL SERVER 2000 USES 1433 PORT BY DEFAULT & SAME IS GIVEN IN CONTENT STORE ENTRIES IN COGNOS CONFIGURATION

If thing went wrong then First thing to check is the cognos configuration entries.If something went wrong like content store is not able to connect to sql server 2000 DB then check the entries here first.

Second check at sql server & content store are up & running & u are able to access it at DB level. like i did it by using Query Analyzer (comes with Sql Server2000). FOr Oracle u can use Toad. To Further chech the same thing u can even try to connect by creating ODBC/DSN connection pointing to content store & test it.
In my case all these test were successful.

so it appears to me that at sql server2000 end things are up & running. Also at cognos end entries are checked & correct so somewhere in middle cognos is not able to connect at sql server.

Now this connection part we define in content store entries only...so i have to check following part
type : Microsoft Sql Server Database
Database server with portnumber & instance name:localhost:1433
user id & password : sa
database name : cognos83

Since again & again testing giving the same problem so i zero down to port number.

Here i have to check wheather port number 1433 is being usedby sqlserver or not.

How to do this every OS have some way to do this either throught some command or through third party tools.
In my case OS WinXpSP2 has command prompt,i used netstat -ao it gives following column

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State PID
TCP office-815bdb32:smtp office-815bdb32:0 LISTENING 668
TCP office-815bdb32:http office-815bdb32:0 LISTENING 1668
TCP office-815bdb32:epmap office-815bdb32:0 LISTENING 1048
TCP office-815bdb32:https office-815bdb32:0 LISTENING 1668
TCP office-815bdb32:microsoft-ds office-815bdb32:0 LISTENING 4
TCP office-815bdb32:1035 office-815bdb32:0 LISTENING 1668
TCP office-815bdb32:1052 office-815bdb32:0 LISTENING 2104
TCP office-815bdb32:6646 office-815bdb32:0 LISTENING 1972
TCP office-815bdb32:netbios-ssn office-815bdb32:0 LISTENING 4
TCP office-815bdb32:1354 cds183.sjc9.msecn.net:http ESTABLISHED 1380

here port number are in second column. Now each service or programme running on ur computer is given a PID & same is shown above in last column. But name of service or programme is not there.

now my job was to find sqlservice PID & find its port number using above table.

For this in my OS WinXP SP2, i used "window task manager " by clicking contrl+alt+del. Click process tab,click "view" menu button,click "select column" , click check box for PID, click ok .
now see under in "image name " look for "sqlservr.exe" entry, corresponding PID is 2104.

Now 2104 in above table correspond to 1052 port number. Now this shows that sql server(PID2104) is using port number 1052 & not 1433 as again its default 1433.

So in Cognos Configuration\data access\content manager\content store entries i changed the port
type : Microsoft Sql Server Database
Database server with portnumber & instance name:localhost:1052
user id & password : sa
database name : cognos83

now right click content store\test ,it passed the test i.e. cognos is able to connect to content store created at sql server2000.

Now when i open cognos web page it is working properly.

So the problem was due to port conflict. I redirected cognos to port 1052 being used by sql server & it resolve the issue.

But...ya...something more ....when i try to create datasource its test fails & message comes

QE-DEF-0285 The logon failed.
RQP-DEF-0068
UDA-SQL-0031 Unable to access the "testDataSourceConnection" database

Accordign to documents "The solution is to ensure that MDAC version 2.71 or higher is installed. The registry of the local system should hold the MDAC version information. "
this was checked & version was 2.8 so something else is needed.

To check Sql Server is using TCP/IP, i did using ODBC connection & find that Network library was configured to TCP/IP. so now what to check... again port number was getting my attention.

in SQL Server, in both client Network Utility & Server Network Utility, in TCP/IP, click property button, type in default port : 1433 click ok & restarted the system.

Now change port number to 1433 in cognos configuration\content store, right click,test successfull.
click green button & click save .

Now creating datasource is successfull.

now whole system is up.

It took me lot of effort,time & positive will to resolve this. I want to thanks all guys who have replied, i really appreciate your time & effort towards this.

now i can breath & can go to sleep.
Bingo...hurrray.... :):):)

Note:I will monitor the system for couple of days to make sure everything is right, if something comes up i will post here , otherwise consider it good

I have the same issue using Cognos 8.4 and SQL Server 2008. I have validated the port as haripali suggested and still I cannot make connection. Any thoughts. this is critical and highly visible. thanks

Dear,

I have the next configuration:

Windows 2008 server - MS SQL 2008 - Cognos 8.4.27

I created a database (content store)in MS SQL 2008 and als a Schema.

In Cognos 8.4 I configured the user sa/password in the content store and als the corresponding port address (thx Haripali).

In Cognos 8.4 when I run the test now errors appears.

When I start the service next message appears.

13:48:40, 'LogService', 'StartService', 'Success'.
13:48:46, CM-SYS-2057 Creating content store tables (schema version 5.0001).
13:48:52, CM-CFG-5063 A Content Manager configuration error was detected while connecting to the content store. CM-SYS-5003 Content Manager is unable to access the content store. Verify your database connection parameters, and then contact your database administrator for assistance. Failed Logon:com.jnetdirect.jsql.JSQLException: DBComms.receive exception:[java.net.SocketException: Connection reset], Context:[(3) [Thread[Thread-16,5,main], IO:20192, Dbc:60bc6]], PktNum:0, TotalReceived:0, PktSize:4096 url:jdbc:JSQLConnect://127.0.0.1:49166/Cordstrap Content Store Cause: Failed Logon:com.jnetdirect.jsql.JSQLException: DBComms.receive exception:[java.net.SocketException: Connection reset], Context:[(3) [Thread[Thread-16,5,main], IO:20192, Dbc:60bc6]], PktNum:0, TotalReceived:0, PktSize:4096 url:jdbc:JSQLConnect://127.0.0.1:49166/Cordstrap Content Store Runtime Exception stack trace: com.jnetdirect.jsql.JSQLException: Failed Logon:com.jnetdirect.jsql.JSQLException: DBComms.receive exception:[java.net.SocketException: Connection reset], Context:[(3) [Thread[Thread-16,5,main], IO:20192, Dbc:60bc6]], PktNum:0, TotalReceived:0, PktSize:4096 url:jdbc:JSQLConnect://127.0.0.1:49166/Cordstrap Content Store at com.jnetdirect.jsql.JSQLDriver.connect(Unknown Source) at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:562) at java.sql.DriverManager.getConnection(DriverManager.java:186) at com.cognos.cm.dbstore.CMDbConnectionFactory.initializeConnection(CMDbConnectionFactory.java:90) at com.cognos.cm.dbstore.CMDbConnectionPool.get(CMDbConnectionPool.java:59) at com.cognos.cm.dbstore.CMDbStoreFactory.getConnection(CMDbStoreFactory.java:2397) at com.cognos.cm.dbstore.CMDbStore.getConnection(CMDbStore.java:4530) at com.cognos.cm.dbstore.CMDbStore.initializeContentDependent(CMDbStore.java:4654) at com.cognos.cm.server.CMServlet.initializeContentStoreForActive(CMServlet.java:2482) at com.cognos.cm.server.CMServlet.init(CMServlet.java:2140) at com.cognos.cm.server.ContentManager.start(ContentManager.java:301) at com.cognos.cm.server.ContentManagerLifecycleHandler.start(ContentManagerLifecycleHandler.java:63) at com.cognos.pogo.services.DefaultHandlerService.start(DefaultHandlerService.java:101) at com.cognos.pogo.services.DispatcherServices.startInititalServices(DispatcherServices.java:416) at com.cognos.pogo.transport.PogoServlet$PogoStartup.run(PogoServlet.java:681) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:810)
13:48:52, 'ContentManagerService', 'StartService', 'Failure'.

13:48:53, 'ContentManager', 'getActiveContentManager', 'Failure'.
DPR-CMI-4006 Unable to determine the active Content Manager. Will retry periodically.
13:48:53, 'com.cognos.pogo.contentmanager.coordinator.ActiveCMControl', 'pogo', 'Failure'.
DPR-DPR-1035 Dispatcher detected an error.

13:49:13, 'CPS Producer Registration Service', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:13, 'CPS Producer Registration Service', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:13, 'IndexUpdateService', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:13, 'IndexUpdateService', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:13, 'JobService', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:13, 'JobService', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:13, 'MetadataService', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:13, 'MetadataService', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:13, 'IndexSearchService', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:13, 'IndexSearchService', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:14, 'DeliveryService', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:14, 'DeliveryService', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:13, 'EventService', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:13, 'EventService', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:13, 'AgentService', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:13, 'AgentService', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:13, 'IndexDataService', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:13, 'IndexDataService', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:13, 'MonitorService', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:13, 'MonitorService', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:13, 'com.cognos.pogo.services.DefaultHandlerService', 'pogo', 'Failure'.

13:49:13, 'com.cognos.pogo.services.DefaultHandlerService', 'pogo', 'Failure'.

13:49:14, 'ReportDataService', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:14, 'ReportDataService', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:16, 'Cognos 8 Go! Search Service', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:16, 'Cognos 8 Go! Search Service', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:16, 'SystemService', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:16, 'SystemService', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:16, 'ReportService', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:16, 'ReportService', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:16, 'ContentManagerService', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:16, 'ContentManagerService', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:16, 'BatchReportService', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:16, 'BatchReportService', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:16, 'thumbnailService', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:16, 'thumbnailService', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:16, 'restService', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:16, 'restService', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:16, 'LogService', 'StopService', 'Success'.
13:49:16, 'LogService', 'StopService', 'Success'.
[ ERROR ] CFG-ERR-0103 Unable to start IBM Cognos 8 service.
Execution of the external process returns an error code value of '-1'.

Please guide me

Is your SQL 2008 instance set to function in mixed mode?

Ties Blom

Thanks Ties for your reply.

I found the solution. What I did was I removed the Cognos installation complete (otherwise it repeats with messages of old content stores and namespaces). I removed the content store database on the SQL 2008 server. I create a clean content store on the SQL 2008 server, install the schema in this new database. Install Cognos 8.4 without the Cognos content database.
Configure the port address as mentioned by Haripali, I configure it with profile sa/password (SQL2008) and did a testrun. Now everything is working fine.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back