Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Content filter query... what's the best? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajuntank

IS-IT--Management
May 20, 2003
US
I am in charge of a K-12 network for over 1600 nodes. I am looking to replace our outdated, yet still somewhat working, Cisco Content/Cache Engine with Websense 5.X.

I have a Sonicwall 5060 Pro series appliance that will have content filtering (premium package) included, but I don't think this will be as in depth as I want it to be. So I am looking and investigating dedicated appliances that do content filtering & protocol shaping. I'll let my Sonicwall do the IPS, Anti-X, Firewall functions, and maybe content filterng as a failover should this "new" appliance fail.

I have talked to a salesperson and asked about some product and inquired about Barracuda's box. He said it was a good box, but mentioned that I'd be happy with a box from Cymphonix. He said in his opinion it had more functionality and was 50% better than the Barracuda.

I will do a demo of the box, but I would like to know what some other people are using and what they like or dislike about their solution?

TIA

OpenDNS.com works every time for my network, and it's FREE!

I've been told about the OpenDNS site before for poing your forwarders to. As soon as I get away from my currrent provider (forced to use their DNS, firewall, bla bla), I'm going to try them out.
Do you use any type of hardware based filtering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back