Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Contacts not appearing in the GAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

byrneg

MIS
Jan 16, 2002
IE
i have checked that "hide frome exchange address lists" is not checked. resarted the MTA and verified that i can add the contacts to the GAL on a different system. I have an idea that this may be permissions related but can't verify if any changes have been made to the system as it is remote and the admin there is in contact by phone only. has anyone come across this problem before? all help much appreciated

The GAL is a query of AD.

Did you "establish e-mail address" on these or just type in an e-mail address on the properties page? Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

as it was for an external contact. i followed this method
1) go to active directory users and computers > users and right clicked to select new > contact.
2) entered the name and surname and by extension the full name then clicked next
3) the "create an exchange e-mail address" was checked
4) i then clicked "modify" and selected smtp address
5) on the internet address properties page entered the email i.e testuser@domain.com
6) on the advanced tab left the override button unchecked

when i check the GAL does not have the entry, i have checked by leavinng 24 hours to ensure this is not a latency issue and also checked that the recipient update properties are set to always run in the exchange system manager. the only thing is that i can think of is that permissions need to be set on the GAL properties but as everthing was working before i can't think what could have caused this.
thanks for the swift reply

The RUS doesn't look to be stamping showinaddressbook.

I would troubleshoot it. MSExchangeAL is what you can turn logging up on.

You can use ldp to dump the user and see if this is on it. Do new users with mailboxes show in the GAL? Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back