Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Contacts list in Outlook 2000 Internet only mode help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonhill

MIS
Dec 6, 2002
US
Okay I have setup Outlook 2000 in "Internet only mode" so that i can use an imap server. When outlook is setup in this mode it gives you a default "Outlook Today" setup complete with contacts. Well i have a user that has an old pst file that when imported gives an additional Personal Folder view complete with contacts.

My problem is when I choose the personal address book icon it shows both the contacts from the pst as well as the contacts from the "Outlook Today". I only want to see the contacts from the PST file.

I went to the properties of the contacts listed under outlook today and the option for show in the address book is checked and greyed out.

Does anyone know how to get this box to be not greyed out so I can uncheck this option?

I'm a little confused about what you've got going on, but I have a couple of questions:

Did you import the info from the old .pst file or did you just open it? It sounds like you have 2 pst files open - the new one & the old one.

Next, do you have the 'Outlook Address Book' service installed under Tools, Services?

When you use "Internet only Mode" instead of "Microsoft Exchange" mode you get a default pst view for outlook today.

Also there is no tools->Services in "Internet only mode" only tools->accounts

I forgot that 'Services' was not available in IMO mode, but incoming mail is still stored in a new .pst file. And I still think that you have both the new and old pst files open. File, Close all items should take care of that. Then, open the 1 pst file that you're working with.

I just did some experimenting with an existing installation (reconfigured to IMO) and somehow even with a new profile and new pst, Outlook ended up with 2 pst files open after I imported. I suspect the same thing happened in your case, although I can't come up with an explanation why it does that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back