Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Contacts in a newer versions can suppport distribution lists 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougP

MIS
Dec 13, 1999
US
We have Sharepoint services 2.0 which came with Server 2003.
Trying to find out if contacts in a newer versions can suppport distribution lists? we have several hundred company contacts in 12 distribiutions lists in Outlook contacts and need to be able to share them with the distribution lists. We do not have nor can afford Exchange Server to get Shared contacts.
Sharepoint 2.0 does support distribution lists?
Or can a newer version of sharepoint even run on Serv2003?

DougP
[r2d2] < I Built one

You can run 2.0 and WSS 3.0 on server 2003. Both versions are free.

They both do support distribution lists, but you must make them pub available for sharepoint to see them.

not sure what you mean by this?
quote:
...you must make them pub available for sharepoint to see them.

Whats PUB ? Public if so, how do you do that?
I'm a sharepoint newbie.

DougP
[r2d2] < I Built one

Sorry, I meant public groups like an AD security group. Any AD security group can be imported by SharePoint. If you create a distribution group those are not available.

so what now I can't make distribution lists?
I no NOTHING about sharepoint, and been a while since I was on 2003 server or any server for that matter.
I spent about 3-4 hours screwing around with it and came up with nothing. and it was giving an error or message saying distrubuiton lists are not supported or something.

I want to have shared emails with ditribution lists that oen person can administer and anyone can use,
Ww are a non-profit and can't afford exchange server.
But I really don't want a third prty thing either?

DougP
[r2d2] < I Built one

If you give me more about what your trying to do I can be more helpful. But with the limited info of what you want as an end result I would say;

If these several hundred contacts are in your system as AD users they can be imported into SharePoint via SSP. At that point you can setup groups and assign one user to manage the groups. If they aren’t in there and you want to expose it to the internet it has to be an anonymous site and permission wont be an issue.

I want to have shared emails with distribution lists that one person can administer and anyone can use,
The reason we need distribution lists its a school and we email parents now days. These parents could have 1 to many kids in school. Like one in 1st grade one in 3rd grade one in 6th. so its the same parent with the same email, but an email may only need to go to the 3rd grade kids today and 6th graders tomorrow etc. So the teacher slects all the 3rd graders and fires out an email. There is a secretay in charge of the master list. she sends emails to all sorts of groups of parents etc.. All of them or some of them. And if there is a divorce or move across town or something she only needs to change one email in the master list which then shows up in each ditribution list. or address for a parent not as many as kids they have. So the teachers don't have to worry about so and so parent email changed, the secretary took care of the changes.

thus our purpose for ditribution lists.

hope that helps

DougP
[r2d2] < I Built one

That totally makes sense, but this isn’t something you can do in WSS 2.0. That version doesn’t support Email updates, distribution lists, or user groups from AD. First is you need to upgrade to WSS 3.0 or 2010 foundation.

I know you said you don’t have the funds for exchange server but that is really where this could be managed. SharePoint would be useful if you upgraded to 3.0 to send parents links but if they aren’t managed in your AD system you will need to write a web part to perform these actions from a list.

Hope this helps.

will WSS 3 run on server 2003, we have the standard edition BTW. it's not SBS or anything else. I do see SQL running but that might be for some other application only.

What do you mean about 2010 foundation?

DougP
[r2d2] < I Built one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back