Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Contact Management Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkrev

Technical User
Oct 10, 2000
US
The contact management program is the answer to my database management problems but being self taught its been trial and error. Was working beautifully inputting the data until today when I started receiving error messages stating the table I tried to open "isnt an index.... Look in the Indexes collection of the tabledef object to determine the valid index names" I closed it down to restart and now cannot even open it up - God I wish I was a programmer but Im only a nurse trying to keep track of my patients. Can anybody offer advice? Im desperate as its 2 years of trial and error.

Is this a database problem or is it a network problem as it is on a hospital network that I am working in. no trouble with other practise databases Ive used but this one is the one I need.

It sounds like your database has been corrupted. There are several things that you can do:

1. Check in the directory that the Access database is in for a file with the same name, but with a .LDB extension. This is a record locking file that usually goes away when Access is shutdown, but everyonce in a while it remains and causes problems. You can open this file with notepad and it is supposed to tell you, among other things, who has the table locked. If no one is in the database and this file exists, it can be deleted.

2. You can run repair from the command line (DOS shell) to try and fix the database:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" drive:\path\database.mdb /compact /repair

3. As a last option, you can create a new database in Access and then do a File -> Get External Data -> Import, pointing this at your old database to import your forms, tables, data, etc. Anything that does not import was probably corrupted.

Hope it is something simple. Let us know if this helps...

Terry M. Hoey
th3856@txmail.sbc.com

Ever notice that by the time that you realize that you ran a truncate script on the wrong instance, it is too late to stop it?

Thanks for the suggestions but no dice.
there's no file with .LDB extension nor can I import any tables to a new data base because I get the error message on trying to open the database I want. Its like it doesnt recognize the name even though its there in windows explorer and as a shortcut.
In Dos with that command I get a "bad command or file name"
although C drive comes up on the screen as
C:\> I can't delete the <
I tried all kinds of shortcuts like:
C:\>Program Files\Microsoft Office
but still came up with bad command message

Can the repair be made on C if the database is on G drive?
I never thought I'd have to remember DOS commands again
I know exit and win but thats it although I did get it opened in DOS with a little help from help

When looking for .LDB file I looked at explorer not DOS I dont know how to stop the scrolling to look at anything or even how to get a blank screen so I could put in the &quot;&quot; were they needed at the beginning?

Any other suggestions besides me having a nervous breakdown?
Suggestions most appreciated

You have to make sure you put the double quotes around the complete path for the Access.exe:

&quot;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE&quot;

Otherwise, the space between Program and Files messes it up...

When looking for the .LDB, Explorer is fine.

Try it and let me know...

Terry M. Hoey
th3856@txmail.sbc.com

Ever notice that by the time that you realize that you ran a truncate script on the wrong instance, it is too late to stop it?

IS tells me its a network problem as the file is also corrupted there. Thanks for your suggestions. I learned much as they say they can get it off the file.
Thanks again.

If you have a most recent Back up you should restore this database, the truth is that your database has been corrupted and this is very common with Access.It has happened to me several times and all I do is to restore a recent back up, of courese you lose some information which you just have to identify and re enter.

visit my website at
Nkabirwa Sowed Magezi
nkabirwa@netscape.net

A Ugandan Developer for

(1) School Management Information System(SMIS) - Foxpro 2.6 ; Ms-Acess 97

(2)Debt onitoring System(DMS) - Ms-Acess 97

(3) The Loans Recovery System(LS) - Ms- Access 97

(4) The Dry Cleaners System(DS) - Ms- Access 97

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor