Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Constructing a url to an Excel instance

Status
Not open for further replies.

mychal

Programmer
Feb 13, 2002
US
I'd like to construct a link to a scheduled instance of a report that is not in standard CR format. viewrpt.cwr does not recognize non-standard formats. How can I construct a link to a saved instance in (in this particular case) excel format using APS info and some knowledge of my server's dns and file structure?

Thanks,
Mike

There is a file available from crystal:

ce8_getinstance.exe

That shows how to call the last saved instance of a report from the server. I just edited mine to output in pdf (my preferred method for URL)

Lisa

Thanks, Lisa. I'm not sure I follow you, though. Where can I obtain this executable? I'm hoping to use CSP and the Crystal API to offer the link to people. Is this something I have to install on my CE server box?

Thanks,
Mike

I'm on the right track now. I believe I need to use the infoobjects.cwr file, instead of viewrpt.cwr. But I'm still having a problem with the WCS. This url doesn't work:

I get this error: "This plugin does not support the requested action." If I change the action to -10000 or -10005, I still get a WCS error.

But works, if the instance is in standard Crystal format.

Can anybody help me with constructing my url.

-Mike H.

The problem with a URL to a saved instance, is that the ID of the "most recent" saved instance changes each time the schedule creates one. If you go to crystal and download the file that I listed above there is a code example on how to get the most recent saved instance of a report (without using eportfolio) and displaying that in a viewer. All you need to do is change the viewer to an export format for Excel.

Lisa

I searched Crystal's website for the file mentioned "ce8_getinstance.exe" and it comes up, no files found. Is there another place to get it?

Thanks, Rich. I found the file using your link.

I've placed the files in a virtual directory on my CE/web server. I've opened up the default.htm, entered a report id and an APS name, and received the following error in a pop-up window:

"File DriveLetter:\blah\viewrpt.cwr not found. (On Cache/Page Server: APSServerBlah.pageserver)"

What could be my problem? Why can't the pageserver find viewrpt.cwr?

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back