Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Constantly losing connection to Domain Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherisc

ISP
Dec 9, 2004
US
Hello,

I am running Windows XP Pro on a Windows 2000 Domain. When I log into the domain at first, things run fairly smoothly. After time, whether my computer is sitting idle or I am working, I seem to loose connections to Domain Resources. I cannot access network printers or my network drives that are housed on the domain controller/file server, and my computer becomes extremely slow at opening anything. Here are some errors that I get:

When I try to access a Network drive, I get the following Windows Explorer Error:
U:\ is not accessible.
The system detected a possible attempt to compromise security. Please ensure that you can contact the server that authenticated you.

Around the same time that this is happening, I get the following errors in event viewer:

Source: Userenv
Event ID: 1054
User: NT AUTHORITY/SYSTEM
Windows cannot obtain the domain controller name for your computer network. (The specified name either does not exist or could not be contacted.) Group policy processing aborted.

Source: AutoEnrollment
Event ID: 15
User: N/A
Automatic Certificate Enrollment for XXXXXX\myusername failed to contact the active directory. The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. Enrollment will not be performed.

Simply logging off then back on corrects this problem. I found the following microsoft article, but it did not help:

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Are you on a laptop? If so, check and make sure that the power settings aren't turning off your network card to save power for some strange reason. I've seen that before.

If it is a BroadCom NIC I'd suggest updating to latest drivers since this is a known bug for HPs with BC nics.
If any old nic same NIC drivers update and like the previous laptop reply turn off power savings on the NIC through its properties in device manager.
Checking the wall jack, cable and the rest of the infrastructure if you have that type of environment isn't a bad idea either.

See if the Winsock fix mentioned in the following article is of any use.

WinXP Connectivity Issues
Lost Connectivity after Registry or Malware Cleanup
faq779-4625

How to troubleshoot TCP/IP connectivity with Windows XP

How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems

getting knocked off the 2003 active directory
thread779-1103536

Unable to access network after pc is idle
thread779-929514

Take any error I.D. number and search for it on this site.

This is an HP Vectra PC (not a laptop) with a 1GHz Processor. My NIC is integrated into an HP Vectra Motherboard, the driver is a 3COM 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller 3C905C-TX Compatible.

I should mention that when I lose connections to the Domain like I talked about above, I still get email from the Exchange Server and I still have Internet (but it takes up to two minutes to open Internet Explorer, once it is open, I can browse the Internet). DNS works fine, however, my DNS server is of course the same as the domain controller.

Linney, I will check out those articles, thank you.

I have seen the winsock problem before and this is not the same.

I'm almost positive that I don't have spyware. I run AVG and Microsoft Anti-Spyware from the day that I reformatted this HDD (a few months ago). I will look at the fix. Thank you.

Do you have any unused network adapters installed? Disable, not uninstall, any unused network adapters and try that too.

I do have a VPN Virtual Adapter installed, but I was getting this problem before I installed that, and if I disable it, I still get the problem. Thanks

I tried some of Linney's ideas. I will post tomorrow to let you know what I did and if my problem is fixed.

Thank you.

Use other Anti-Spy ware software even if you run the scan and uninstall it. When I search for spy-ware I use severn programs all of this programs have free trials. (I am not sure if Pest Patrol does or not I have it on CD)

Spy Bot Search and Destroy
Ad-Aware
Pest Patrol
Spy Sweeper
Ewido
Norton Anti Virus 2004 or 2005 (preferably 2005)

i also use Hi-Jack this. It sounds like you know what your talking about for the most part. To use this program you have to know what you are doing. You can really screw up a system with it if you do not

Seven spyware programs? What are you, some kind of top secret government employee? That is just flat out ridiculous.

Why not just smarten up a little bit and not install spyware on your own computer? If you dont install it on your computer, then there is no need for you to run 7 scans and 3 Real-Time Spyware protection things that slow your computer down to a crawl.

I use one spyware thing every 6 months and all it ever finds is the cookies which really pose no threat.

Does your domain controller have any errors when this is happening? Check the event logs for anything... Maybe your account is being locked out by some service that is using an incorrect password?

No I'm not some kind of secret government employee. No it is not ridiculous! When you have people calling you because their system is running slow and are getting a ridiculous amout of pop ups, sometimes the only way to get rid of all the spy ware and ad-ware is to run these seven programs. They all remove items and checks places that others do not. I run them one right after another and it is amazing what each of them will find. Try it some time you will be surprized!

I did fail to mention that the only Real Time scanner I have installed on my system or any other sysstem that I work on is Norton antivirus. When I install these programs on a customers system I uninstall them as well, except Spy bot and Ad-aware.

Sometimes you do not have control over weather or not spyware is installed on the system. Some of them are like virus, they install themselvs or are installed with other software that you intentially install.

KJW

I am familiar with spyware programs out there. I often remove spyware from customers computers (I don't care for Norton, and Hijack this is another tool that I use often, I also use the online scans at trendmicro and panda). I have to agree with Captain that I prefer not to run all of those programs on my computer. I like the free Microsoft (Giant Anti-Spyware), and I really believe that spyware is not the problem here because I built this computer from used parts a few months ago and I had this problem from the start, before spyware had the chance to get onto my machine. Thank you Captain, I will check the domain for errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back