Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Constantly getting failed backup - Exec 8.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hammertime

Technical User
Jan 20, 2003
GB
Hi guys,

I'm running a NT4 SP6 server with a Quantum DLT4000, Backup Exec 8.6 with Remote Agents.

When backuping up one of my W2k NAS (Remote agent) I repeatly keep getting a failed backup when it reaches 80GB, the following error is displayed and the job fails:

----------------------------------------------------------
Targeted Media Set Name: Media Set 1
The media provided to continue the backup already contains data from one or more sets created during this operation.

The operation can not be continued
----------------------------------------------------------

I've erased all the tapes in this media set. What is going on please?!

Many thanks!

Hammertime

P.S. I never seem to be able to get my titles to be 'Bold' either, what is the correct way to put the syntax in for this?

Your backup is so large that it needs to go onto an additional tape, it's not being given an additional tape so it's failing. Backups are not 'wraparound' jobs. They can't start in the middle, go to the end, and then start at the beginning again.

On your P.S.: Go to the window where you type in your post. Select Process TGML. That shows the codes you need to use to bold, underline, etc.

-SQLBill

ive had this same error. SQLBill is right.
Use hardware compression if you havent done that.
If you know that you do have enough space..
Sometimes the backup doesnt start from the beginning.
Select overwrite media option.

Hammertime- I am absolutely no help to you but I am having the same exact issue. If you find out what it is please post. My backup was doing 37GB fine on a 6/40 autoloader now it fails with the same error at 25GB. I have all the overwrite stuff in place.

thanks

Hi guys,

Well i've got to 150GB so far and all seems cool so to resolve the problem select hardware compression (was already selected though) and also select 'Overwrite Media Option'.

As this backup is about 380GB, i'm trying to get hold of a DLT autoloader!

Thanks again everyone, hope this works for you spunkanator.

Hammertime [thumbsup2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back