Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Constant rebooting 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxPacific

Programmer
Jun 22, 2001
US
Hi All,

I have a computer that I put together, Epox MB, AMD Athlon 1Ghz processor, 512 RAM. The problem is it keeps rebooting on it's own. The only thing that makes me suspect XP is because it didn't do it when Win2k was loaded on it. However I'm not sure what other factors could be affecting it besides the O/S. Wear and tear, increased demand on the processor and so on.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Aloha,

James

ahhhh....well let me be the first to welcome you to the dark side
[lightsaber] [soapbox]
sleep is good

I installed WinXP on both of my PC and found that both PCs suffered from crashes or spontaneous reboots.

Yes, one has a Geforce video card, but the other has an ATI Rage Pro card.

I didn't think of updating the drivers. What I did was to open up one PC, pushed in all of the RAM chips and other cards, and made sure all of the cables that plug into the PC were pushed in properly. This fixed the problem on one PC (the one with the ATI graphics card). The only other time that I've had a crash with WinXP over the last 10 months has been when my USB keyboard's cable was loosely plugged into the PC. Pushing it back in firmly solved this.

The other PC, with the Nvidia card didn't respond to pushing in the cards and cables. I updated the Abit KT7A motherboard's BIOS, and the graphics card drivers. That was 9 months ago. It have never crashed since.

May

After installing norwegian XP pro with SP1 and updating all my VIA and graphics drivers, my system started booting when playing games. This newer happened with my privious XP pro installation (english). After searching forums like this I believed that it was SP1 that was giving me a hard time.
My system is as follows:
Abit KT7A
Gainward Geforce 2 200MX
XP SP1

I updated all my drivers including VIA service pack with the latest drivers from via and the latest drivers from Nvidia (40.72). Still crashed. Then I installed the latest Nvidia WHQL drivers, still crasing.

Then I tried this:
Installed the latest VIA 4in1 released at Abit's homepages (not at VIA's) and the latest drivers from Gainward.
And wolla; It all works fine!!!

Tried to upgrade the graphics drivers again, now its not booting when playing, but the games (Unreal, Mafia) exits giving me an alert. Reinstalled the drivers from Gainward, and again wolla; everythings seems to work fine.

It seems to me that Gainward have been making some changes to Nvidias drivers.

Hope this can help more than me!

I've been taking advice regrading my own re-booting problem from numerous experts, and every one has said the same thing, XP and AMD duron do not mix it's well known and i've been told to roll back to win2k until i can upgrade my chip set to athlon or intel(errr), think i'll go with the athlon

gavski

I couldn't solve my problem with rebooting so I just switched to my good old P2 300MHz. *Everything* is different except WindowsXP, all the hardware. And yet today it gave me the IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSoD! I give up...

deecee - where did you get those great anemoticons?

gavskii - get a Mac :). It looks like mixing XP and AMD is like getting a clunker car so you can learn a lot in fixing it.

This thread had gotten me v.interested, as I was considering building a system around Athlon and XP. I am putting it on hold until the issue has been resolved.

Maybe you shouldn't worry too much jvcalara - it looks like a lot of people here, but imagine the number of people around the world using Athlon with XP - the chances you will get the same problem are negligible imho.

Turn off UPNP in services (universal plug 'n play). THat should stop auto-reboot. UPNP is a hacking vulnerability and should be turned off anyway.. XP also automatically discovers FIFO settings on the com ports that allows hacking exploits on the machine so turn the serial ports off in BIOS. It can also be the cause of reboots even if no-one is attempting a spoofed access. Get rid of messenger while your at it.. it has too much command power of behind-the-scene functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back