Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

constant rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanle

Technical User
Aug 1, 2005
US
have a power edge 2600 and it wont stop rebooting
need help!!!

oh and windows server 2003 is on it

Is anything consistently getting written to the event logs jsut before the crash?

In the past we've had a self-rebooting PowerEdge 2600 and it turned out to be a conflict between diskeeper and our backup software running overnight.

Other than that I have a couple of PowerEdge 2550's that reboot once in a while, I think it's flaky memory but had to track it down as we don't get logs written and Dell diagnostics finds no problems. You should run diags on yours and check the ESM logs in OpenManage.

Nick...
I have one Wk2 server, with memory leaks when I run Diskeeper. By any chance are you referring to Vertias BE. Also I have APC Powerchute, which seems to have started the problem. See you have been over to the Minasi site a few times

Paul Meiners

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

thanks for the reply
it was a gps system that was added and was not told about
but he put it in wrong

In windows 2000 and NT 4.0 there was a switch you put in when you had serial devices, like an UPS, connected so that the NT detection logic would not query the com port and cause your server to reboot. it's the /noserialmice:com# option in the boot.ini. In windows 2003, it's /fastdetect:com#

Okay, you've got my curiousity piqued: exactly why did someone hang a GPS off of a (presumably stationary) server?

Hi Paul,

Our issue with Diskeeper with ARCserve v11, in the end I just set Diskeeper to only run Saturday/Sunday as we aren't a 24/7 operation.

Nick
Thank for the reply, basically I do the same, but I shut down services through the scheduler, until needed. Veritas has been involved in a few memory leak situation for me, irritating, never figured out the correction, so I resort to the scheduler.

well the server is not stationary
it is on a very large drag line at a coal mine

I like it, a server with a GPS, does it wander off ?

Coal mine, non stationary...
Power issue, is it on UPS
Flaky power supply. Some PS units have very sensitive circuits which will cause a reboot if minor power glitches occur.

If the server is moving, possible electrical contact problem
great product

well the server is not stationary
it is on a very large drag line at a coal mine

That's pretty damn cool. Reminds me of a bash.org quote, though of course this is on a whole nother level

<erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my apartment it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back