Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

constant ping or keepalive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

volleyman

MIS
Jun 12, 2002
US
I have a 2811 router using a 3g wireless wic on the AT&T network for internet connection. its then connected as a site-to-site vpn.

this works well except that it requires traffic from the remote side to keep the connection up as the AT&T connection uses a dynamic IP address. Does anyone know how to generate a constant ping or any other method of keeping that connection alive from the router?

the devices connected to it are not PCs or servers that can run a constant ping.

Zane D.
Systems Admin

What I've done is specify a NTP server on the other side "ntp server x.x.x.x", which halfway regularly sends ntp traffic over that link. There might be a way to do this with keepalives too. Another way might be a TCL script that sends pings. While I'm at it, you could enable CDP over it, that sends regular traffic, but to a broadcast address.

Kiwi syslog daemon has built-in keepalive functionality also...

What sort of equipment do you have on the remote LAN?

Burt

Hello
You could do the below ping.But this isn't very clean.There must be a way to do this within some VPN command.Try asking the guys on the (VPN) Forum.
ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx repeat 2147483647
Regards

Most of the external wireless devices from the carriers usually have a keepalive function built into the configuration of the wireless device. Have you looked at the wireless WIC configuration for the keepalive function?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back