Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Constant Freeze ups 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Art454

Technical User
Feb 19, 2003
US
I am working on a Toshiba Satillite 1.6 gig Laptop that freezes up constantly. I was lucky to get the 30 gig HD formatted. Trying to install Millenium then upgrade to XP PRO. Made it to 55% installed then freeze up. Could this be a bad memory problem. Lucky to make it past the boot screen before freeze up. Thanks

Yes it could be a MEM problem... sounds like that when the MEM gets to operating temperature that it clonks out... you can check this by having it sit within the BIOS and if it freezes there then you know...

another possibility is just plain too high a temperature within the Laptop...

suggestion you run MEMTEST86 or similiar programm... replace the RAM with a good known working one... get more air flowing within the laptop, if I am correct there are Fan units that clamp underneath the Laptop... could also be the fan unit within the laptop is busted and needs replacement...

Ben

Thanks Ben, Now I can't even get startup screen. I will go in to BIOS when it decides to let Me and see if it freezes. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back