Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Consolidating Disk Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamcs98

MIS
Nov 3, 1998
SG
I am thinking of consolidating all my disk into either EMC, HDS or IBM VSS disk that provide High availability.<br>
Which would be the value for money ?

For active network disk, EMC makes a pretty good box. HDS has a robotic-arm tape server that works great for data warehousing. These are true enterprise level systems; And each had a high price. If you just need a big place for data, I would ise an IBM-3518 Drive tower. This system will hold 18 uwscsi 9.1's and two DLT tape drives. If you raid the disks, it makes a perfect storage facility. The cost of a 3518 w/ two clustered server groups would probably be less than an EMC box alone. So it depends on what you need out of storage.

We've just received an EMC 3700 as part of an overall revamping of our infrastructure. From what I've seen so far, it's a great system. But it is seriously large bucks and only part of a plan to secure high availability. Any good raid system with hot swappable drives can give reasonably constant access to data 95+ percent of the time. As things get closer to 100%, the costs seem to get exponentially steeper. A disk subsystem alone can't provide high availability, the whole picture must include telecommunications (i.e. sonet ring), network, server and UPS failover alternatives. Are you looking for a hardened site, or simply a large, dependable disk farm? IMO look to EMC or HDS for the former, and the IBM or perhaps DG's CLARiiON for the later.

EMC Symmetrix systems are easily the fastest, highest available storage systems on the planet. IBM GIS routinely recommends EMC over their own products and HDS has a very uncertain strategy for the future. However, the previous coments on EMC price are a serious understatement. EMC pricing on the Symmetrix line is beyond extremely high. If you need the ultimate in reliability, performance and functionality then EMC is worth the price. If not then take
a look at EMC Clariion or even someone like XIOtech...Scott

Does anyone know what the difference is between the hard drives you pay big bucks for from EMC and regular Seagate drives? They look the same.

The drives are essentially the same, however they ride in and EMC carriage which allows it to plug into the Symmetrix.

The carriage might contain (probably contains) some EMC custom microcode that makes it all play together nicely.

Dell makes small drive arrays, as does Zyzzx.

Bill.

the ingredients may be the same for different companies, but it is how they cook it and what they do with it that makes the difference!

I suggest you performance test the HDS against EMC, you may be suprised and you may have a little more money left in the budget.

Difference between EMC supplied Seagate drives and Seagate ones is money. Although EMC do say they do additional tests on the drives. They still fail at the same rate.

Basically EMC have developed a winning product which they know they can charge what they like for. We recently paid over £10000 for a Server Processor Upgrade (sounds fancy) all that turned up was a bigger disk drive for the laptop and additional memory plus software.

Just ask EMC for a price list on any of their products and you'll get an answer like that depends on how much you want to pay. Always negoiate with EMC and always say you're reviewing another manufactures product then you'll get the discount.

EMC have a great product, it is just very very expensive.

Just my 2p worth

Regards

I think you'll find HDS attempting to be very competitive in undercutting EMC as they really need to push their products. To my mind where EMC win over HDS is in the benefits if SRDF, which is significantly more usable than the HDS equivalent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back