Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

console problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

brdn

MIS
Jan 28, 2003
US
I have a IBM 520 with 5.3 loaded on it. I am having a problem with the console monitor not coming up to a login. The console monitor is either a ibm3151 or a wyse 150 serial terminal. The CPU boots up but nothing will come up on the console. Does not happen on install, but rather a week or month later. All other terminals will work. Any suggestions as to where I can go to solve this problem. Not happening in all shops but is becoming more and more a problem.

Just a little question... does your server have a graphic card installed?

We have had this a few time when dt is not disabled.

it has a pci graphic card that come in the machine. We do not use it Where would I go to disable the dt that you are referring to?

When you login on another terminal as root, you will need to # out the entry in /etc/inittab that refer's to dt login.

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up. I committed out the dt line in inittab on 2 different machines and it seemed to work on one and not the other. Any other suggestions? I have 133 of these machines in the field and are having a problem with the console on a handfull. I did notice in my error log that I am getting a error labeled GRAPHICS during the reboot
resource name CFGLFT. Could that be coming from lft0?

Next I would look at the device drivers for your graphic card.

Just curious on what you have set for your baud rate. If I remember correctly the Power5 machines run at 19200 for their serial connections.

YES THE 520 RUNS ON 19200 AND OUR TERMINAL IS SET FOR 19200.

Hi brdn,
first excuse my bad english, mail from germany ...
i've had the same problem with two new p510 server.
an ibm technican switched a parameter in the config
of the ibm5153. in the config mode press f9 ( emul )
and set the font to multinational.
the baud rate has to be 19200. if you need the other parameter
for the ibm5153 send me a mail.
good luck
gerhard

Thanks for the tip. We are using IBM 3151 and have no option for a font change. We have the character set at multinational. Any other suggestions I'll be glad to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back