Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Console problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auger282

MIS
Sep 27, 2003
Ok well long story short I want to use HTPE with my LPT port

anybody know of a way I can do this?

the only selection it gives me is with my com ports and my modem on my laptop.. I dont have any 9p serial I only have my lpt..

thanks for your help

Don't think you can. HT is designed for a serial interface, as well as the things you are trying to connect.
There may be some serial-to-parallel devices you could try. (MicroCenter etc) What are you trying to do? If you have a USB port available, there are pretty cheap USB-serial devices. I got one after I toasted a serial port on one of my laptops. Works just fine.

One additional thought: What type of PC/device are you using? There have been some PC's and cards made with a 25pin serial connection. I believe you could tell by the gender of the 25pin connection if it was serial or parallel, but it absolutely escapes me as to which is which. Anyone who can refresh my memory
:)

Well my root problem is every 9 pin cable I have isnt working with the console of the 470 baystack

the lpt is off of a IBM thinkpad laptop r40

I have a "D" cable that came with my passport that I'm trying to get to work but nothing is working ... I've even resorted to the manual for the correct terminal settings.. (eek)

typically I would just use the IP to console in but I'm dealing with 2 new switches and they just wont console in for some reason...

I acctually have a usb to db9 adapter but mine is called "prolific usb-to-serial comm port" and it auto sets to com5

what is your settings that you use?

I have the typical
9600,8,none,1,xon/xoff configured on the port level

and then in the HTPE I also have the same configured for the session

I swear the cable I'm using is marked "D" and came with our passport so I know the cable works... something is just wrong with the configuration

anybody have any ideas?

I have my flow control set to None. I also have mine on Com5 and this works fine for me.

Googer

hmm tried that too.. no go

tnx for the idea though

I'll try anything at this point..

I also tried the old laptop we have here with a com port with the flow control set to none.. still no go

What device are you trying to connect to? The 8000 SFs have a selector switch for the console.

Googer

I got it to work.. for some reason I guess the "D" cable from the passport wasnt the correct cable as I had thought.

I ended up going to radio shack and got a m-f rs232 and then got a m-m gender changer and it worked like a charm....

*big sigh of relief*...

hey I was even able to get my usb thingy to work too... thanks for all your help!

the cable from the passport is a null modem...
you need a straight for the baystack ;)

you can however change the serial type on the passport (DCE-DTE so you wont have to use 2 cables ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back