Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Console Login Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranjank

IS-IT--Management
May 9, 2003
IN
Hi

I'm unable to login to console of SunOS 5.8.If i type the root for logging it again returns to the login prompt.I'm in some what soup becuse of this.Any urgent help on this will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
RK.

Root login may not be enabled at the console. Are you able to access the OS in any other manner?

Keith

If you can login as another user and are able to 'su', have a look at /etc-/efault/login.
If you find 'CONSOLE=/dev/console' without '#' in the beginning, you ca only login as root at the console, if the line is blnak after '=', you cannot login as root altogether, you can just use 'su'.
If this is not the case, have a look at /etc/passwd, root should have a valid entry for the shell.
If you are unable to logon to the system at all, but you are able to use ftp as root, you don't have do boot from cdrom, you can download /etc/passwd and maybe /etc/shadow, edit them and uplod them.
Best luck
Stefan

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies.I tried doing hash (#) to CONSOLE=/dev/console in /etc/default/login and i was able to login to server by telnetting with root,but my problem is my server is attached to serial monitor where i'm facing this problem.If i type root at login prompt the login screen appreas again without prompting for the password.

Regards,
RK.

Hi,
with 'eeprom', or at ok-prompt you should check if you have the entries
output-device=ttya
input-device=ttya
(if you are at ttya)
Good luck
Stefan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search