Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Console Help Sun 220R

Status
Not open for further replies.

bingwalker

Technical User
May 29, 2002
US
Ok, I'm not sure if this is the right board for this, but I need some help. I have several Sun servers that I am liquidating for out of business companies. I need to login to the consoles to find out the server specs so I can sell them. I have no server experience. I have a laptop with WinXP, the correct cabling, and secure CRT. How exactly can I login to the console to get information about the system? Is it easier to use Telnet?

Someone Help!!!

Connect a serial line to serial port a on the sun box. When it powers on it will pick up there is no keyboard connected and look for serial console.

I have a cable going from my serial port to the console port on the server. I have all the secure crt settings correct, I turn on the server and nothing happens...What should appear on the screen?

You can use telnet.If you already configured telnetd on your Sun Server.And you can check the Sun Server configuration.

I am able to get some kind of response from the server through my serial port, but it is all just this:

"yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ" with little dots above the y.

Anyone know why I can't properly connect?

What do you mean by serial line? I have twisted pair going from my serial to the "TP" port in the back of the server. This is right?

??

You will need a "NULL" modem cable to hook up with the 25 pin "Serial A" port on the back of your 220. The other end should go to your laptop serial port.

The TP port is the network port for network cable.

You can use tip connection if you have one more sparc. connect other sparc system to SUN server, (serial port to serial port) edit /etc/remote file on sparc. refer man remote for more info. for 25 pin NULL modem cable: connect 2-3, 3-2 & 7-7. for 9 pin NULL: 2-3.3-2, 5-5.

Hi,

Did you have any luck? I am trying to connect to My enterprise 220R to install for the first time. I have a DB25-DB9 null modem cable and I am using hyperterm and I can't seem to get to the ok prompt. I have tried various combinations of switching the machine off and on and disconnecting/reconnecting.

Any help?

Kelly.

Are you using COMA port on the E220R?

Make sure you do not have any applications running on yout PC that may interfere with it. i.e I have to close hostsync (palm pilot sync s/w).

Check your emulation type (vt100 or ANSI) and your port speed.
Ged Jones

Top man

Like many people have posted thus far, you'll need a DB-9 cable going from your laptop to the com a/b port on your 220R, with a 25 pin adapter on the other end. It is important that the cable is a null modem cable.

Since you are running windows, the most simple way to get connected would be using Hyperterminal. The basic config dealing with that is a baud rate of 9600, 8-N-1. If what I am saying doesn't make sense then it will when you pull up the hyperterm software.

If you are still unable to connect then manually select a term type, preferably vt100 since it is compatible with almost every version of Unix. If problems still persist you could try downloading software like teraterm, or a variation of it. Finally, if you can't get it you can always sell the 220R to me. :)

Once on the machine you can run a few diagnostic commands that will tell you system info like: psrinfo, uname, and prtconf. (Do a man page on each if more info is needed).

Hope this helps,
Blaine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back