Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Console Command History 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 15, 2002
US
I have a minor issue that I hope someone can help me with.

We have a Progress database that we need to manually load everyday. The command to load it is long enough that it is a real pain to type, and near impossible for someone with little computer experience. We gave the manager of the dept access to the server and showed him how to type it in if necessary, but moreso how to just use the arrow keys to scroll through recently used commands and then just entering on the correct command.

This has been set up like this for a few years now. The other day, the server hung up and required a hard reset. When it came time to load the database, I typed in the command and it worked fine. Unfortunately, I used an older version of the command which consisted of slightly different parameters. I have since made an NCF file to ensure that it is typed correctly and to make it much easier to type since it's just a 5 letter command with no parameters.

Anyway, my question is: Is there any way to remove the incorrect command from that command history without downing the server and restarting it? I don't want this manager using the wrong command if he forgets to just type in the one word command I set up for him. Not having much experience with Novell, I'm not even sure where to begin to look.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

---------------------------------------
Bob Beck
IS Administrator

As far as I know, this is not possible. Consider writing a .NCF file to reload.

dangerous to give him console access

why do you need to load this db ?
i mean why unload and reload?

if its for backup or such like why cant you cron it

i only remember the last so many commands
type help 5 times
he will then need to type command as he will be bored

HAHA. Or type in something like this.. backwards so he'll read them in order

hey
loser
stop
messing
with
the
server
console
go
back
to
your
desk
where
you
belong

I agree though, he shouldn't be touching the console.

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

I remember a user had access to the console on a NetWare 4.11 server once. He thought the system console was a DOS box so he typed EXIT to try and get rid of it. Unfortunately, the server informed him that he had to type DOWN before he could exit.

Needless to say, he did not have console access for long - sometimes I wish Management would listen first time .....

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

I understand how dangerous it is to give an employee access to the console. Unfortunately, that's the way it's been since before I got here. As far as I know, there hasn't been a problem with it being done this way in the past.

IT isn't a priority at this company, which is quite frustrating. For example, a password policy was put into effect last year for the first time after 6 years with our primary system. They had passwords, but there weren't any minimum requirements and they never were forced to change them. I'm very unfamiliar with Novell and I'm in a learn as I go situation. I have been forced to learn it on my own, with help from people like each of you and doing research on the net.

Anyhow, I never thought of setting up a cron job. The question I have is how safe is it to unload the _mprosrv.nlm via the console as opposed to going to the Progress screen and entering on the Shutdown Database command. When users aren't logged in, I don't see it as a major problem. However, if a user doesn't log out before he leaves and the NLM is unloaded via the console, I'm concerned that data could potentially become corrupted.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Bob Beck
IS Administrator

you can you stuffkey to create a ncf
this would allow you to effectively do the actions as you do it normally through the progress screen and save it as an ncf that you could then cron

not up on progress - so not sure if you can just unload it

This is yet another utility that will come in handy.

Thanks!

Bob Beck
IS Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back