Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Console access to 3640

Status
Not open for further replies.

achilleus

IS-IT--Management
Oct 3, 2001
US
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer...

Recently I have been unable to access my 3640 router through the console...I plug in a laptop and jump into Hyper Terminal and it never connects...I am also unable to telnet as I didn't assign a password (which is what I'm trying to do through the console)...

Any ideas?...As of now I have no access to the router...I've rebooted the router and done everything else I can think of...I'm fairly certain my Hyper Terminal settings are correct...

Thanks again! AJ
SA
HS

I seem to recall that when I upgraded to Win2k I had to go get a new version of HyperTerm in order to access Cisco console ports. What OS are you running?

Also, since you said "recently," I assume that you have been able to do so in the past using the same hardware/cables. If that was a bad assumption, make sure you have an RS-232 rollover cable or an appropriately pinned adapter.

I am running Win 2k Pro...I have tried on several machines and had the same result...I've also changed cables...I was able to do so in the past with these laptops...Perhaps I should find a newer version of HyperTerm?

Can't hurt.

Thanks. AJ
SA
HS

I have Win2k and the default HyperTerm works fine. Just make sure Flow Contol is disabled in the connection settings.

burke

I think it depends on when you purchased Win2k and may have had something to do with hardware and how it interacts with the OS also. I have Win2k and the default HyperTerm that it shipped with on my office machine. Seems to work fine with Cisco. I'm all but certain I wasted a few hours trying to get it to work on my laptop with Win2k last year and found out I needed to upgrade to the "private edition" of HyperTerm for it to work properly. I'm not swearing it was Win2k - I may be confusing it with something earlier. I know that several other folks had the same problem around that time. Any one?

As for changing cables, did you try both a rollover and a straight-through? Usually a rollover is required if using the standard Cisco 9 pin to RJ-45 adapter.

The HyperTerm used to work just fine for me too...I've tried the Private Edition with the same results...I havent tried a str8 through cable, as a rollover is what used to work...But I'll give it a try now...

The settings Ive been using are: 9600, Data bits: 8, Parity: None, Stop bits: 2 (I tried 1 also), Flow control: none...

Just a mystery to me...Guess I can try a laptop with another OS...Maybe 98...

AJ
SA
HS

Does the 3600 series routers have AUX ports? I'm not too familiar with them, but you should still be able to connect through the AUX port with the same config as the Console port except to have flow control set to Hardware. Just an idea if there is an AUX port.

burke

Be serious and start from begining.
Can you shut down the router any time you want.
If you can, then folow down.
Shut down the router.
connect cable to CONSOLE port on it.
Open hyperterminal, set it to any from 4800 to 38400,8, none,no control, direct to com port you plug DB9, and make sure the status line shows connected.
Now power the router.
In few seconds you must have some characters on the screen.
If you do not receive nothing, then the com port, or DB9 or crosover cable are wrong. ( change one by one, including computer you are using)
If you have garbage, it is ok, then start to change baud rate in hyper terminal to next value, until you receive meaninigfull text.
Good luck
Miroslav

The 3600 does have an AUX port...But I assumed that was just for modem access...

I will do what you suggest Miroslav...Will try it today and let you all know...

Thanks... AJ
SA
HS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back