Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Considering Legato as a Backup Solution 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albion

IS-IT--Management
Aug 8, 2000
US
I am considering this software for our backup solution. We run 3 NT 4 server and Exchange. I like it because of the individual xchange folder and message backup/restore and multiple servers managed from one server. Does anyone have any pros and cons for this software?

Thanks much

-al

In my experience NetWorker is a fairly reliable product on our Solaris platform. However on NT4 it's not as stable as we'd like it - we have a total failure of backup at least once a week. We've had Legato consultants in to look at it but it's no better. We are going to move Networker onto a Solaris box soon!
For backing up MSX & NT/W2k boxes I've found Backup Exec to be more reliable for a commercial environment.

I have no problems at all with my NT and Unix backups. I wouldn't recommend Networker for Netware backups to anyone because of the myriad of problems I have experienced with it. Since you don't run Netware, though, you should be happy with Legato.

Networker is really a complex backup-solotion. I´m new to it but I would go for Vertitas Backup Exec because it is more Windows NT friendly.

/Regards Robin

I have been using Legato Networker for about 5 years in the UNIX environment. We recently upgraded to Sun/Solaris8 servers. I bought a copy of Veritas NetBackup with support to compare with Legato Networker. Networker is a product that is easier to use and is more adaptable to custom backups which is necessary in the Oracle environment. I gave the Veritas product to our NT administrators who all said that it was difficult to use and not very intuitive. I sent the Veritas back.

I teach Legato and have used many other products over the years. Legato is not bad. I have used much worse products. I think Legato is easy and works well. However, it is true that you need to set it up correctly from the start to avoid the nightmares you have heard of. But it is the same with other products also. Veritas may be harder to set up and maintain. Legato runs better right now on UNIX boxes than NT boxes and you get better throughput.

If you chose Legato, do yourself a favor and get your staff trained on it. Bad things happen when you don't understand backup/recovery products.

Albion,

In the size environment you have, my opinion would be that, if configured correctly, Legato will run near perfectly.

As with anything which is complex - training is well worth the effort.

My opinion:

We run both Legato Network and Veritas Netbackup, depending on pre-merger or post merger machines (Go figure)

Anyway.. For exchange... I prefer Veritas, easier to manage, More reliable (In our world, at least), and works better with MS Operating systems.

I could get into specifics about each product, but you could easily find that out by visiting each companys web sites. and
Avedis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back