Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Considering buying POS

Status
Not open for further replies.

POSMaster

Vendor
Feb 27, 2006
US
Hi

I'm considering buying a POS system for my restaurant.
I have around 40 employees.
Any suggestions?
I already took a look at Micro's and Aloha restaurant solutions and i am not at all impressed.
Yesterday I found a small POS company called POSnet -
anybody heard of them?

thanx,
and may the power be with you. :)

No, you are a still a young padawan, Adam. Bo has worked on the DTS 2100 series register, which means he is older than dirt, and therefore the jedi.

Patience grasshopper... patience....

WOW, even in my dreams I didn't think that is going to open to this long discussion.
Bo, picking on nicknames? Nickname?! Hmmm …. Common, Bo you can do more than that. Don't take it personally. Sometimes people calling themselves names, even if they didn't yearn that name yet. But they have a vision to yearn with respect in a future.
Listening - is the key.
Working for ASI reseller, aren't you?
As per Micros - how about RES 3000, is it considered as a open architecture system?
Anyway there are, so many restaurant owners stuck with old (which I think, Micro's is still selling) Micros. So, yes there are selling open architecture now, letting old customers to bleed. Saw their screen and got legs - do they have a room to add new buttons?! As per Aloha - they pushing their resellers to sell Radiant Equipment with every POS deal. And Radiant equipment isn't cheap and need to be fixed by Radiant only. About 10% from sale will go every month for hardware maintenance. How its sounds to you? The Aloha/Radiant does offer open architecture, but finding technician to fix Radiant equipment not going to be cheap (you're limited to Radiant's will). In addition they charging per pieces of their software like Advanced Labor Schedule for added hundreds of dollars (I actually heard that at the end its even doesn't work properly).
I spent almost a month for research on both of them and this is what I got:
Micros and Aloha it’s all about fees – speak with customer service=fee; technical support=fee; RIDICULOUS - maintenance for a brand new equipment (first year)=fee; updates=fee;
OUTRAGEOUS- Some owner told me that they even charged him a shipping fee!!!
Have extra money to spend - buy Micros or Aloha!!! Actually, if you've big chunk of money, don't buy one - buy BOTH!!!

I mean I can write more and more, but I guess it's just a personal decision and experience.
By the way, I took POSnet. They told me, that if in the future I'll open a new location - they will import/export my inventory and menu list (will whole ingredients and etc ...) in about roughly 5-10 minutes. By the way, I hope I told you that are not going to be any fees for this feature or using it, am I?!

OMG, This guy can't even type in proper grammar. Dude, if you want to be taken seriously please use english instead of some distorted use of Yoda talk.

Adam

Dirt?????? I ain't even 40 yet, but thanks for the Jedi compliment.

Bo

Kentucky phone support-
"Mash the Kentrol key and hit scape."

LOL. Yes, there are some very Yoda-esque passages, some of which I am not even sure what they meant, or where they fit it.

"But they have a vision to yearn with respect in a future."

Uhm, ok.

"Listening - is the key."

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't you that was coming on here seeking our input. I would that means it you who should be listening.

"Working for ASI reseller, aren't you?'

As a matter of fact, yes. But what does that have to do with anything, I also service Aloha stuff. The point is, none of us were ever trying to "sell" you on a particular POS system. There were 10 of them discussed here.

The bottom line is, I respect your decision to voice your opinion on this forum, and anywhere else. My only suggestion to you would come across with a little less smugness and arrogance to your posts. Speaking for myself, I did a lot of typing in trying to help you to make the right choice for your business. You have to understand, the guys on here may work for Aloha, Restaurant Manager, Micros, or wherever--but the bottom line is, they are on here daily, helping people like you for FREE. So, while you may have chosen one system over another, you could probably go a long way by showing a little more class and ettiqutte, and not acting so righteous about your decision. Wait until you've had it for year before you start patting yourself on the back.

By the way, Bo wasn't making fun of your nickname, as much as he was POSWizard. So, unless you're one in the same, you don't have anything to be defensive about.

AdamDR,
Dude, should I hit you with "may the power be with you", to make you happy.
Thank you for sharing your "Great American" spirit with us.

I have many years in this business. I have seen POS companies come and go. There are new ones popping up daily offering internet updates and excellent service. I also check stocks of each of these companies. So some are doing great and other are just holding on waiting to aquired by a bigger name. Micros and Aloha and two of the biggest players. So both will more negative experiences that the smaller guy. When you buy POS look into the future. What can be upgraded and supported with the least out of pocket expense. MICROS, Aloha and a few others will upgrade the current system with few dollars out of pocket. Most the other players require you to purchase new hardware as well as software. Some people just need a quick cheap solution...but this can cost you more on the long run. The biggest thing I hear about upgrades, is that they need a new file server. Well, you need new PC's to run Microsoft Applications. Try running running xp on a PII. As software has more requirements the hardware will have to keep up. Bottom line...buy from a company who has been around and you know you can count on.

What a thread.
I think we can all benefit from learning as much as possible about all of the products on the market. It seems Aloha is the product of choice by most members here but lets not alienate those who have other preferences or product experience unless it's Micros! (kidding!!)

I have been in POS for a long time and have worked with a number of systems from the bigs to the small/mediums. I have a consulting company and have no formal ties to any product other than I make money supporting them. I currently support 8 different POS platforms. I have not used POSnet although I have the demo software and just haven't gotten around to installing it since I really don't want to become a dealer again. Of the products I deal with Dinerware is the one that I just don't make money on as it never breaks and it is so user friendly. They have a large dealer network and are growing fast. The dealer I have been using for new installs is located at I am also the IT director for a restaurant compny that is going national and currently using Aloha. I will probably be converting to Dinerware although I have been an Aloha guy for over a decade. (Boy do I miss the "boot from floppy" days) I love the complexity of Aloha when I am making money on it but when my income is the same if the phone rings or not I think I like the simpler, more reliable and far more advanced product, (all dot net and already certified for Vista)...

Sorry, I started this just to say hey, lets just try to get along... and got chatty. I hope we can all benefit from each others experiences with little to no bloodshed.

posrescue.......boot from floppy???? That takes me back a ways. You probably remember RTCards as well from th old days at Ibertech.

AkamaiAloha & Bo, I probably worked with you guys as well if you were doing Aloha in the 90's

So can anybody help me get Aloha working on a MICROS Eclipse? Can't get the card reader to work properly.

I came in at 5.0. I missed everything prior to that. As far as the loading Aloha on Micros, I have not done that. We give trade in value for them, and sell new hardware. Sorry, no help here. [sleeping2]

Bo

Kentucky phone support-
"Mash the Kentrol key and hit scape."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back