Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connot get access to any databases via control centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSwan1980

Programmer
Mar 29, 2006
GB
Hi All,

I hope someone can help me on this matter. I'm in no way a pervasive.SQL expert and have come across a problem that i have no idea how to sort. On the server where the database's are stored i cannot access any of the databases via the Pervasive control centre (center). I get the following error:

[Pervasive][ODBC Client Interface][Client LNA]Connection attempt timed out. The SQL Connection Manager may be inactive or using a different transport protocol from the client.

The same error is happening when i try to set up ODBC connections on the server.

On any other PC's that i install the pvsw client i can use the control centre and get access to the database tables without any trouble.

Can anyone please shed some light on why this is happening and possibly how to resolve it.
All help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Grant

Here's the KB for the WTS setting. It seems to apply only to PSQL 2000i SP4 (7.94):
Solution Details
Solution ID: 00015191

Unable to use DTI Functionality through a terminal session to a Windows Terminal Server.

Problem Description:
Unable to use DTI Functionality through a terminal session to a Windows Terminal Server.
DTI Functionality includes Pervasive Server Configuration, Creating and Maintaining Engine DSNs and the Pervasive Monitor Utility.

"Unable to save settings values" message may be returned.

Problem Environment:pervasive.SQL 2000i Windows NT
Service Pack 4
Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0
Microsoft Windows 2000
Microsoft Terminal Server
psql2646

Cause of this problem:

Solution Notes:
In order to access DTI functionality through a terminal session, the server must have W3UPI228.DLL or later. Pervasive.SQL 2000i includes W3UPI229.DLL.

In addition, Pervasive.SQL 2000i has an additional registry entry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Pervasive Software\Utilities Interface\Settings
The value for Restricted Access On WTS client has a default value of 1 meaning access will be restricted. If the administrator changes this to 0, everyone will be able to run utilities as if they are logged on to the machine physically. This will allow them to remotely administer their P.SQL 2000i server.

It should be noted that changing this value to 0 gives all users full control of the DTI functions on the server.

NOTE:
Editing your registry is dangerous and can disable your operating system causing you to reinstall your software. Pervasive Software will not be responsible for any mishap due to registry changes

Mirtheil
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

On the off chance that it makes a difference here is the error coming from the application:

Time: 07/19/2006 12:28:37 PM
Source: ADODB.Recordset
Number: 3219

Time: 07/19/2006 12:28:37 PM
Source: ADODB.Recordset
Number: 3219

Thanks,

Grant

I'm now quite happy that the problem with accessing the tables on the server that is caused by the RDP session. At present its not possible to update the pervasive setup with the latest service packs etc due to serious space issues on the server.

I'm now trying to find the cause of the application error that i mention in the previous post. This may well be a problem not relating to this particular forum. I however still believe that there is some sort of problem when using the ODBC connection to the database. I have since discovered that the item application connects firstly to an ODBC on the citrix server which itself connects to the ODBC on out Pervasive server.

Apologies if this is now the incorrect forum but i really need to get a solution to this.

Grant

This is the correct forum, and I've been using Pervasive on terminal services and Citrix since Pervasive 7 and NT4. And I still use it everyday, except now it's Pervasive 8 and Windows 2003 (I don't like Pervasive 9, but that's another topic).

If you've got such "serious space issues" that you can't download a simple P.2000 service pack, maybe this server has other issues that need to get addressed first. I would get a copy of P.2000 SP3 (which is in fact, a full install that will clean up all DLL's and EXE's), then apply P.2000 SP4.

Jay Converse
IT Director
Systemlink, Inc.

I agree with Jay. You really should be at SP4.

As far as the error from your application, does the application work locally at the server? If not, then you need to contact the vendor or developer of the application to find out what Pervasive operation is being performed when the error occurs and what Pervasive error is being returned. I've seen "Operation is not allowed in this context" when the connection isn't open and you try to open a recordset.
The error may be a side effect of an upstream error. I've seen applications that try to open a file, get an error that is not displayed to the user, then tried to read a record and gets a "file not open" error.

Mirtheil
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

Mirtheil: The thought that the record set wasn't open was my exact thought for that error message as well.

I really would like to get this installation to be fully patched unfotunately this is not an option. It was installed prior to my being here and has next to no space. It may certainly be why this was working previously and now isn't, but the state of the server has always been similar, i.e a lack of space. I'll speak to our infrastructure manager and see if we can't find some way around this.

I appreciate all of the help you guys have been. Its been really useful.

I will let you know of the outcome.

Cheers,

Grant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back