Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connot get access to any databases via control centre

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSwan1980

Programmer
Mar 29, 2006
GB
Hi All,

I hope someone can help me on this matter. I'm in no way a pervasive.SQL expert and have come across a problem that i have no idea how to sort. On the server where the database's are stored i cannot access any of the databases via the Pervasive control centre (center). I get the following error:

[Pervasive][ODBC Client Interface][Client LNA]Connection attempt timed out. The SQL Connection Manager may be inactive or using a different transport protocol from the client.

The same error is happening when i try to set up ODBC connections on the server.

On any other PC's that i install the pvsw client i can use the control centre and get access to the database tables without any trouble.

Can anyone please shed some light on why this is happening and possibly how to resolve it.
All help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Grant

Which version of Pervasive?
Are you doing this on the console, or over an RDC session?

Jay Converse
IT Director
Systemlink, Inc.

The Pervasive 2000 control centre is version 7.82.198.004.

As it happens i am accessing the server via an RDC connection. There is also a problem with the application accessing the datasource given by the ODBC connection on this server.

Many thanks for the reply.

Grant

Ahh, an RDC session...

Set "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Pervasive Software\Utilities Interface\Settings\Restricted Access On WTS client" to 0.

Jay Converse
IT Director
Systemlink, Inc.

Sorry. Its an RDP session. But i'm fairly sure there similar in the way they work. Correct me if i'm wrong. i'll try the registry key and see if that makes any difference.

RDP, RDC, Terminal Services, Citrix, it's all the same....

Jay Converse
IT Director
Systemlink, Inc.

Hi again,

I cannot find the folder listing for Utilities Interface. What i did find in this location is that there appears to be both registry entries for the client install and the NT server install. Both specify the same install directory. I wonder if this could be having an affect (clutching at straws now).

Thanks for your assistance.

Sorry about that reg key, it's been a few years since I used P.2000, and none of my clients use it anymore. That key is definitely used in 8.x versions and higher.

If you're on the server, it has both an engine and a client, so those install directories are correct.

It almost sounds like your ODBC is incorrect. Maybe an MDAC update is in order.

Jay Converse
IT Director
Systemlink, Inc.

Not a problem, i'm just glad someone seems to know what to look for, This is the first time i've had to deal with pervasive (and i hope my last, although thats not likely :) )

I'll have a look into the MDAC approach. I'll download the latest version and see if it makes a difference.

These ODBC connections were working fine previously and i can't understand why all of a sudden the've stopped functioning. Nothing to my knowledge has been changed. Both the relational and transactional services appear to be started and running without a hitch also.

I'll post back and let you know how the MDAC approach goes.

Thanks so much,

Grant

Another option to look at is the TCP port. Make sure that port 1583 is open and listening.

Mirtheil
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

Sorry, but how do i go about doing that?

Would this not stop it working on client machines as well?

You can use netstat to determine if it's open and listening.
If the port is closed at the server, it would prevent clients from using ODBC. Btrieve clients could still work (Btrieve used port 3351).

Just to confirm, you are trying to use the PCC locally on the server and it doesn't connect. Are you using a Client or Engine database/DSN? If you're using a Client DSN and the data is local, what happens if you use an Engine DSN?

Mirtheil

Its the engine DSN that is being used. all ODBC connections using this have the problem. I believe the port is open as there is an established connection to port 1583, as welll as many to 3351.

JayConverse: I have MDAC 2.8 installed as it is a windows server 2003 machine. I have tried re registering the dll's but this has made no difference.

Thanks,

Grant

So to make sure I understand, this error only occurs when you are locally at the server trying to access the data through ODBC. Clients can connect to this data source though. That's strange, usually it's the opposite (client gets the error while server works).
You mentioned an RDC connection, does the error occur if you actually go to the server console? Can you access any of the data files using the Pervasive Function Executor? Does that work or does it give an error also?

Mirtheil

I'll go and try directly on the server to see if that makes any difference. You have it correct, i get the error when on the server. any Control Centre access from othermachines can access the database and tables. Any applications using the ODBC connections on the server seem to fail however.
I can open the DDF files via the Function executor but have no knowledge on how to do much more with this utility. Is there any thing i should attempt to do within it?

Thanks,

Grant

Ah. Well thats interesting. If i go to the server itself it seems to work ok from the Control Console.

So it appears there is an issue using the likes of terminal services.

QUESTION? If the app that is having trouble using the ODBC connection is run over citrix(which it is) does this mean that it to might cause the same type of terminal services problem?

I'm thinking i may be getting closer to the cause her. I certainly hope so.

Thanks again,

Grant

Did you run regedit and look at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Pervasive Software\Utilities Interface\Settings\Restricted Access On WTS client on the server?

Jay Converse
IT Director
Systemlink, Inc.

Jay:

I did indeed, but i couldn't find the key for Utilities interface. Is this going to be a problem if its not there, more to the point should it have been there in the first place?

Grant

It should have come along with a P.2000 service pack. Try adding that dWord manually.

Jay Converse
IT Director
Systemlink, Inc.

Ok. I've tried inputting that registry key and it hasn't made any difference.

Grant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back