Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connectivity problem between Verizon DSL & Comcast Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

drax62

MIS
Dec 19, 2001
US
I have a weird problem trying to connect and set up a VPN between home and a small office.
We use 2 Dlink DFL-80 routers. ISPs: home is using Comcast Cable, and office - Verizon DSL. Everything worked while DSL was set up with the default PPoE, dynamic IP. We requested a static IP from Verizon and since then, I cannot see (that means no ping, traceroute, etc.) my home IP from the office and vice versa. Both endpoints are perfectly accessible from anywhere else. Both endpoints can access anything else on the internet.
Now comes the interesting part. I hooked up a computer directly to the cable modem, and it got a different IP address assigned, and then I was able to connect!
I suspect there might be a routing problem within one of the ISPs. Am I right, or is this some kind of router configuration problem?
Thanks in advance,
Greg

Sounds like something on the DSL link is set up to refuse ICMP packets, which is why you cant ping it. Remember, traceroute is just a ping with a time to live attached to it for each given hop. See if you can connect to a port on the far end other than pinging it.....such as SSH, on port 22 or something like that, if you have it set up.

Actually, as I mentioned (but maybe not stressed appropriately), I can ping this DSL IP from anywhere BUT home [cable IP]. From anywhere else I can connect to both routers, access their Web Mgmt interface, no problems.
No, it's not refusing ICMP, I made sure it does not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back