Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connectivity lag to SCO box

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmitch

Technical User
Feb 2, 2007
US
Good morning all,

First off, I'm a Microsoft DBA and am by no means a UNIX pro. However, I have a SCO UNIX box that I am supporting, and it has been having some issues that I have been unable to resolve.

When I try to connect via FTP or Telnet, there is a lag from 30 seconds to several minutes before I can even enter my login credentials. However, once I finally log in I don't notice any significant performance issues.

I have checked out the network side of things, and there don't seems to be any problems with the network. It's not a client issue, as this happens to everyone who uses the system.

I would appreciate some tips as to where I can look for the source of this problem.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Tim

Try renaming /etc/resolv.conf. This can cause problems when the SCO box tries to verify the source IP of the Client connection. If the SCO box requires name resolution (for outbound Email, for instance), then you'll probably need to FIX resolv.conf instead of just disabling it.
If you rename resolv.conf, the effect is instant. No need to reboot or restart a process.

"Proof that there is intelligent life in Oregon. Well, Life anyway.

That seems to have been the problem. There was an entry in the resolv.conf file that pointed to a nameserver that could not be reached. Renaming the file took care of the lag problem. Thanks a bunch - you are a lifesaver.

By the way, is the resolv.conf file a SCO thing, or is it common to all UNIX varieties? How does it differ from the hosts file?

Thanks
Tim

You should actually have valid entries in the resolv.conf file. Don't just delete it, fix it accordingly; or in the future you'll have undesirable results and wonder where they're originating from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back