Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connections to an exchange server from home 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmstenner

Technical User
Jul 22, 2002
AU
Hey guys,

I have an exchange server at work, which has a fixed ip address and works normally inside the offices.

If I wanted to receive my email at home, how would I go about configuring my mailbox? I can ping the exchange servers DNS and IP address from the dos shell at home, so there is a basic connection there, but how to configure outlook?

Any info would be appreciated, thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this post,

Brendan.

Hi,

You can setup a new mail account in microsoft outlook to connect to your mail server by using either pop3 and supply your info for example: incoming would be mail.somthing.com
outgoing would be whatever mail service you use to send out mail. and User name and pw. Or if you have folders you could use IMAP and supply the IP address of the server and then user name and password.

Good Luck

Gday,

I have put in the IP address of my mail server into the incoming and outgoing emails, I get a time out error ("The connection to the server has failed") when trying to connect to the mail server from home, I have opened the ports 110 and 25 on my firewall to enable communication incoming and outgoing.

Any more ideas?

Thanks,

Brendan.

Hi,

Can you get to this box remotely through terminal services? If not make sure that your account has permissions to make a remote connection. Your outgoing mail will be through your current isp's mail. Instead of putting in the ip of that server, try putting in the name. for example: mail.something.com.

Good luck

Hi,

Can you get to this box remotely through terminal services? If not make sure that your account has permissions to make a remote connection. Your outgoing mail will be through your current isp's mail. Instead of putting in the ip of that server, try putting in the name. for example: mail.something.com. Have you tried accessing your mail through mail2web.com? If you can get to it from there, then you should be able to with an account that you setup in outlook.

[peace] Good luck

Hello,

We are using a WinNT4.0 server, I am using a Windows 2000 pro server, I am unsure on how to use terminal services.

It seems that it is not even getting a connection somehow, did I only need to open ports 110 (pop3) and 25 (smtp) which have been forwarded to the mail server's internal I.P. or does exchange need another port for internet email to work?

Thanks,

Brendan

Guys,

No need to worry, got it all to work, I made sure all the ports for open (110 and 25), and forwarding was correct (TCP).

In outlook I added the sites pop3 DNS name "mail.whatever.com" and smtp as my ISP's and then for my username and password it was my domain login (internal e.g. user1) and my domain password.

Worked no problems,

thanks for your time and help,

Brendan

I'm not sure if that is the most secure way to handle this situation. My concern would be how open have you left your exchange server to the world. My recommendation would be to establish a secure connection to your network perferably with a VPN server and then obtain your mail by logging onto your network.

Hey all. Maybe I am missing something but what is wrong with Outlook web access. You could install it on the mail server and all you have to do is connect using IE to the webaddress\exchange. Then you could log in. That is if I am not missing anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back