Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connections string does not work now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrthoDocSoft

Programmer
May 7, 2004
US
Folks,

I've got a problem. I have an app that connects to MSSQL Server 2005 and 2008 just fine whether they're (the instances of the databases and MSSQL Server) on the same computer with the app, or on a separate server, with the following connection string:

strConnectString = "Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=myDatabase;Data Source=myServer"

It has worked fine for years.

Now I'm setting up a new LAN with Windows 10 computers and a Server running MS Server 2012 with MS SQL Server 2014 on it. I've got an instance of MS SQL Server 2014 on BOTH the computer where the app is, AND a separate instance on the server. When I aim my app at the instance on the computer, it connects just fine, just like it always has. When I aim it at the instance on the server, it will not connect. I am very much a newbie at all this, but still need it to work. Can you help?

[lookaround] "you cain't fix 'stupid'...

You probably have a port blocking issue. The easiest way to determine if this is correct is to disable firewalls on server and clients. If the connection works, then you just need to identify the port that SQL Server is using, and then make exceptions in the firewall for that port.

-George
Microsoft SQL Server MVP
My Blogs
SQLCop
twitter
"The great things about standards is that there are so many to choose from." - Fortune Cookie Wisdom

George,

Pretty sure windows firewall is off on both machines. Didn't help. An IT guy I know said that at my hospital, we're running under a "domain." Does that make connection strings work better? I'm a bit of a newb so, please forgive.

Thanks
Mark

[lookaround] "you cain't fix 'stupid'...

Side note: While you're in there, if you can I suggest you abandon OLE DB in favor of SQL Server Native Client. Microsoft announced in 2011 that OLE DB will be end of life soon. (Whatever soon means since it's five years later now.)

Dave [idea]
[]

Does anyone else get remote access successfully? Is the SQL server configured to accept remote connections?

-----------
With business clients like mine, you'd be better off herding cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back