Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connectiong to a domain controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarloZ

Programmer
Dec 15, 2001
CA
hello guys,

i'm still a novice in server 2000. could anyone please share some ideas to my question?

1.i dont have any valid domain name like microsoft.com coz i have not registered yet. is it ok to use any domain that is yet to be registered just to complete the active directory installation?

2.i have to computers: 1 is server 2000 and the other is workstation. what is the procedure so i can connect the workstation to the domain i created in server?

i did try doing all these but i couldnt connect the workstation to the domain. it wont see the doamin.

3. do i need to have two network cards to complete this?

thanks.....i would appreciate any response

by the way guys, i am using static local ip addresses assigned by the router. for the server.

hopefully thats helps to your thinking...

thanks,

You only need one NIC

It is much better to name your Windows domain different from your registered domain name.

So if you plan to register, company.com on the internet, I would suggest that you do NOT use company.com for your Windows domain. (This is because you will have DNS problems if you name the inside identical to the Internet).

Name the inside something like:

(Planned Internet domain name registration) company.com

company.local, company.net, company.joe, company.xxx, etc.

company-inside.local, company-inside.net, inside.net, name.local, etc

The point is that you name it something different.

Also, make sure that when you setup your internal Windows domain, that you allow DCPROMO to install DNS locally. So, make sure that you point your local TCP/IP settings of the server for DNS to the local IP address of the server (NEVER to the ISP DNS or Internet DNS servers).

i.e.: Server IP = 192.168.0.20

Make sure DNS points to 192.168.0.20 on the local TCP/IP properties for the DC server.

After you have the domain created, make sure that you point all clients to the internal Windows 200x DNS server (and not to the ISP). This will allow them to join the domain properly.

-later

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please contact (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back