Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection VPN to a Nortell VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoneEdge

IS-IT--Management
Jan 18, 2005
PT
Hi all

I have a problem with connecting more than a pc to a Nortell VPN.
I can connect one pc to a Nortell VPN(trough PPTP, using a Microsoft vpn connection). But when i try to connect another pc(on the same network, and using the same router) I get an error on the second connect. I get VPN error 651 or 609.

The problem is that using NAT to Nortell and using the same public IP. The Nortell open a tunnel to the first connection, but blocks the second connection.

How can I config the Nortell to pass more than one connection (trough VPN tunnel) using the same router(public IP)? I need to have more than 5 simultaneously connections.

Many Tks

Stone

I don't believe the Nortel can be programmed in the admin interface to distinguish/filter secondary+ connection attempts from specific remote WAN IP. It can do a filter based upon the username/password supplied at login but I doubt that's the issue, here.

What router are you using at the 'local' end?

Many retail routers do not support, or support well, multiple VPN client-initiated tunnels to a single destination because of the limited complexity and feature set of the NAT scheme employed. In practice the rtr will forward commonly used 'vpn ports' to, and only to, the first device that initiates a VPN tunnel.

If you need to do multiple client vpn connections to a Nortel VPN gateway, then probably need a different router or coding on the router that allows for true 1:1 NAT for all the clients. If the method doesn't matter, setting up a B2B (Branch to Branch) connection could meet the need if the folks who administer the Nortel will play ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back