Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connection to sybase database

Status
Not open for further replies.

gd082

Programmer
Mar 12, 2002
BE
I want to connect to a sybase database on a server.
I don't have a odbc driver for this. Where can i get one?
I would like to use a dsn-less connection but don't know the string to fill in into the connectionstring-property either.
Can someone help me please?

thanks

If you go to the Sybase site and download a copy of the Windows Open Client (you should be able to do this for free in conjunction with the free version for Linux), you'll get an ODBC driver that will be available to install as one of the options. However, using a DNS-less connection and ODBC is something I don't know how to do....

You can certainly connect directly via one of the Open Client libraries (CTLib or DBLib) but maybe if you were a bit clearer about what it is you're trying to do after you get this connection open (and what platforms are involved--e.g. Windows Client/Unix server), and so on, we'll be able to be more help.

BOL,

John Craig
Alpha-G Consulting, LLC
nsjmcraig@netscape.net

i found out how it works.
thanks for the drivers.

Could you please share the information on how to connect to a Sybase db using ODBC.

I am trying to access data from a Sybase db and populate it to an Access table or a txt file using ODBC.

The problem is I can't get the ODBC drivers for SYBASE.
Any help appreciated.

You can get the ODBC drivers for Sybase by downloading the freebie version of Sybase for Linux. It's part of the Windows client that you can choose to get in conjunction with that download.

Try starting from this link. You will have to register w/ Sybase, but it's painless.

HTH,

John J M Craig
Alpha-G Consulting, LLC
nsjmcraig@netscape.net

I installed the PC Client.
now how do I use the drivers to create a DSN name, apparently it doesn't show in the ODBC manager.

Thank you for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back