Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Connection to sever problem with XP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aboujouj83

IS-IT--Management
May 9, 2003
US
While trying to use Dreamweaver, I faced the following problem: "this action cannot be completed because the other program is busy"... So, after surfing the web, I thought that Zone alarm could be a problem...so I uninstalled it, but nothing changed.

Then, I found that the "World Wide Web Publishing" is not starting properly. In fact, its status is "stopped".

And when I try to start this service, it says: "could not start the on local computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start."
And after some reading, I found that this service is related to the "IIS Admin" service which has problems as well. In fact, its status is also stopped, and when I try to start it, it says:
"could not start the IIS Admin service on Local computer. Error 13: the data is invalid". When I checked the event viewer, it says that it's the event ID id 7023...but I couldn't find any solutions for the whole problem.

I am clueless now!!!! I have been reading a lot of discussions, but I didn't find any that worked for my problem!!! Any advice is very appreciated.

Aboujouj

Try reinstalling the IIS. There is a commandline exe in the system that will do it with a switch but I forget which one (sorry). However, you can try and use Add Remove Programs and uninstall, and reinstall. Just make a quick backup copy of your in C:\inetpubs (Just copy the folder to another folder on the HDD called "Web Backup" or similar). You most likely don't have to backup, but its always wise! ;)
I had this problem before, and the commandline worked. I have also solved similar with Add Remove progs, and it is likely in both situations I could have used either method interchangeably. The commandline program has more control with the switches like reinstalling without uninstalling, etc., so I would search for that on Microsoft's site first (MSDN site look for "IIS installation commandline").
I am currently having ZA problems, and I have uninstalled and reinstalled three times now and found after the first that the second and third attempts did not ask for my licence key which suggests that there is some registry entries and other things left on the machine which I think is VERY poor. The program seems great until you have a problem, then it becomes like Spyware!!! I am looking at other firewall options and trying to get ZA support to feed me a list of registries and file locations that I can delete to help... If you like I'll post what I find from them.

Will
[morning]

Thanks Will!
I tried to follow your suggestion, but when clicking on remove program for the IIS script (in the control panel/AddRemove), I got the following message:
"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource resource that is unvailable".
Weird! I guess Zone alarm removed this script when uninstalling!
I don't know what to do now: trying to get it from the XP CD or finding this script somewhere on google...
Waiting for your advice!
Aboujouj

Hey guys! Nobody is replying to my request.. Wake up! Somebody knows for sure the answer.

ABOUJOUJ

I still haven't received any support from ZA, but in the meantime because my machine is new, I have decided to rebuild it. Sorry its not the answer you are looking for...

Will

Finally, my problem was solved....after succeeding to reinstall the IIS using the XP CD.
Thanks for those who helped.
Aboujouj

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back