Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

connection to Oracle

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecannelora

Programmer
Feb 4, 2005
US
I've done many searches, could not find solution...

I have an Access front-end, linked to an Oracle back-end.

when the user opens the database, there is no problem until they click on the drop-down box which pulls data from one of the linked Oracle tables. They get an error that says:

ODBC--connection to 'redmark' failed.

the dsn we use is called redmark. each user got Oracle client and the Oracle odbc driver installed, and then the dsn set up. They all have the correct tnsnames.ora file, saved in the correct location.

I can't figure out why they aren't connecting to Oracle.
Sometimes I get the same error on my own machine. to get around it, I go to File, get external data... go through the motions as though I'm linking to an Oracle table, reselect the dsn, then when the box comes up for me to select the Oracle tables to which I want to link, I just click Cancel, and then I have no problems from there on.

I can't have the users doing that, though. For other databases, I don't get this problem. I would just like to know what causes this issue, and how to get around it.

Please help.

Hi

Is the connection timingout (ODBCTimeout property)? I normally set this to 0, but that may create other issues for you.

Cheers

S

no, the connection is not timing out. it's not connecting in the first place

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back